Nikon D40 Help

dmbfoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone! I'm going to a concert in a small concert hall at a college today and I was wondering about some settings for my camera. I have a Nikon D40 (specifics are in my signature) and am very new with this, especially certain settings.

Does anyone know what type of setting I should use to be taking pictures here? I know there can't be any flash whatsoever so I'm not sure which setting to use. I'm not comfortable enough to use many of the Manual modes so is there a way to take pictures in Auto but shut off not only the flash but also the illuminator light. I know shutting the flash off isn't a big deal but I don't know how to shut off the illuminator light. Anyone know how? And if anyone has suggestions for a specific setting they could help me with, I'd be more than happy to try it (any of the different modes, etc.) I'd just need specific directions on how to do it. Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help! :)

Concert photography is hard, ou most likely will need to push the ISO up to at least 800 and ideally you'd want a different lens. 50mm f1.7 or similar. As you don't have one you might even find you need to bump the ISO up to 1600 but noice is probably going to become a problem.

I'm guessing you'd need to Manual focus to eliminate the light.

So you assume the lighting will be low then? You can shoot in aperture priority or shutter priority, but if you're not familiar with these settings already, you may have to source the manual. I think the illuminator light is only going to turn on when you're trying to get the camera in focus using auto focus (although someone may know for sure), so you may have to manual focus your shots. Probably not the easiest circumstances to not rely on auto modes but you should be able to make it work. Good luck!

Hey everyone! I'm going to a concert in a small concert hall at a college today and I was wondering about some settings for my camera. I have a Nikon D40 (specifics are in my signature) and am very new with this, especially certain settings.

Does anyone know what type of setting I should use to be taking pictures here? I know there can't be any flash whatsoever so I'm not sure which setting to use. I'm not comfortable enough to use many of the Manual modes so is there a way to take pictures in Auto but shut off not only the flash but also the illuminator light. I know shutting the flash off isn't a big deal but I don't know how to shut off the illuminator light. Anyone know how? And if anyone has suggestions for a specific setting they could help me with, I'd be more than happy to try it (any of the different modes, etc.) I'd just need specific directions on how to do it. Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help! :)

Not without using manual settings. Try 1/60th, lowest appature (usually 4.0) and iso 1600. just keep those settings and you will be fine

The limiting factor here is going to be your lens..

Chances are good that you will need to zoom into the set, so at the long end you will be stuck with the 5.6 f-stop. You will need to manually focus on your subject because under low light, your camera possibly won't be able to pick out what you want.

Set the camera to Av, and dial in 5.6, then check your cameras selected shutter speed at all of your ISO settings.... use the lowest ISO setting that will still give you an acceptable shutter speed.

Now might be a good time to go out and get a nice monopod to give you some support if you can't use a tripod

The illuminator light is switched off from the Custom Setting Menu, option 09, it's called AF-assist, just set it to off.

i spose u could get some nice movement blur shots on a slower shutter?? but ud need a tripod to keep everything else sharp

hey guys, thanks for all the tips. is manual focus simplying switching the little switch on the lens to "M" instead of "A"? or do only certain settings let you do that? I'm still so new to all of this, especially manual settings as i haven't even really messed around with it all that much. im going to give it a shot though..if anyone has anymore tips im leaving in 10 mins but ill check back. thanks for all the help so far! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back