Nikon D40 OR Pentax K100D

KILLBILL1806

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Everyone,

I'm a Newbie to photography, and I'm about to buy my first DSLR, and there is something I wish you could help me with.

Well the issue is, that I decided to buy a good beginners DSLR, and first I thought of the Nikon D40, which everyone suggests for beginners.. But then I remembered that My Dad owns an Old Ricoh Film Reflex camera, with Three great Lenses, old Ricoh lenses, with K-mount, i think its also P/K mount or something like that, but without the Electric Connection. So I thought of buying a DSLR where I can make benefit of my Dads old Lenses. The Only K-Mount option would be a Pentax, and in the price range I'm looking, I Guess its only the Pentax K100D. My Question is: Will my old dads lenses fit the Pentax K100D, if yes, I guess there would be no Auto-Focus option, only manual Focus.. Is it worth all that considerations, or should I forget about old lenses, and just buy a Nikon D40??

As far as I know, all K mount lenses will work on all K mount cameras.

It may not autofocus or anything like that, but it should work.

I would prefer the pentax probably, mainly because I love my old Pentax Ist* D and don't really like the Nikon D40. But it's up to your own personal taste, both are very competant cameras.

Although I think you can get the Pentax k200 for pretty cheap these days too.

Your lenses will work on the K100D but of course it will be manual focus only. Apart from the K100D, which has been discontinued for a while, you could consider the K200D or the newly released Km (also called K2000 on some markets).

i have never had any experience with pentax..however, i just bought my D40 a couple months ago and I LOVE IT! its perfect for beginners. easy to use, feels good in your hand (personal preference i guess), excellent photo quality. i didnt care for MP size, and you shouldnt either unless you plan on printing billboards

Most reactions

New Topics

Back