Nikon D40: Questions, New to Photography

+1

AND that shoe mount flash, for me at least, would be an SB-600 (need tilt AND swivel)

Yeah for sure. I have a couple of SB600's and I love them. I do think that I would get a SB400 if I were getting a D40 to carry around for vacation shots and stuff. I wouldnt use it for any serious photography...

The Nikon's kit lens is pretty damn good for its intended market. I have never shot with a Pentax, but I remember the photos that I got after shooting with a D50 and the 18-55 for the first time. Magic.

Wouldn't an experienced photographer of, say 5 years ago, be willing to just die for some of the equipment and technology that we may now take for granted???

But it's not just the equipment, folks...

starting out, the kit lens and D40 are a good combination, IMO......I started with the D40, and am still amazed at the quality that this bang for the buck camera provides

starting out, the kit lens and D40 are a good combination, IMO......I started with the D40, and am still amazed at the quality that this bang for the buck camera provides

I agree. I have the D40 with kit lens (and 55-200) and am impressed at how great the photos turn out (of course I want more, though :sexywink: ). I bought the D40 because it's my first dSLR and care less about the body than I do about the lenses. I figured that I'd be better off getting the basics, learning what I enjoy doing most, then upgrade to the body that has the specs I need (if only I could also do that in person, hah) and getting the lenses that best suit what I shoot. You might find the same approach works well for you.

I'd also agree with the flash. I'm getting frustrated with the built-in and was thinking about getting the sb-400. But after reading this, the 600 looks like it's about $80 more and well worth it... DECISIONS, DECISIONS....

long story short - body & kit lens will serve you well for capturing memories. zoom lens and hot shoe flash will be the next items to consider IMO. :)

Yup, yup, yup. D40 with the kit lens is a GREAT all-purpose walkabout camera for a photographer isn't looking to spend his life savings or start a business.

I consistently see GORGEOUS shots posted by D40 users with their kit lenses. The dynamic range on that 6mp sensor is fantastic. Go for it!

ill also chime in, in favor of the d40 with kit....the 18-55 is the lens i use most...partially due to my limited selection and budget, but mostly because it works well for me.

right now im fine with my lenses but would kill for a sb-600...

I have the D40 with kit lens, I also have a Quantaray 70-300, that isn't the best lens on the market but it can give some damn good shots. The only thing I am adding is an SB400. That will give me a perfect carry-everywhere kit.

Most reactions

Back