Nikon D40x

Ptyler22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.harvardpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey, I am new to photography and was lookin at a d40 basically because it is the cheapest DSLR out there but I was just looking on Adorama and you can get a D40x body for $469. This seems like a good deal no? The only problems are: 1. It is refurbished by Nikon, what exactly does this mean? do you not reccomend getting a refurbished camera? 2. Can I get a basic lens for it for like $40 or $50? Thanks

I'm not familiar with Adorama, so I can't comment on them; "Refurbished" generally means a camera that either didn't make the first QA cut coming off the line and had to go back for a tweak, or one that has been returned by a customer for minor warranty issues. It should be 100% mechanically/electrically, though may have minor cosmetic flaws. I would check into the warranty though; if it's not the full Nikon 2 year factory warranty, I would be cautious.

While there's nothing inherently wrong with refurbs, have a look at the D40x kits - I suspect you can find them for only a little more than that, and they will come with at least one Nikon lens.

You could get a "basic" lens for $40-50 but I wouldn't recommend it. Remember, the camera is just the thing that records the images; lenses are what make the image. It's okay to go cheap on on a body. It's NEVER okay to go cheap on lenses!

I would stick to the d40. The d40x is actually worse. the 2 major things that makes the d40 better are that one, the d40 handles noise much better becuase there are less megapixels crammed into the sensor, and two, the d40 has a 1/500th sync speed over the 1/250 on the d40x. This means you can use the flash even at 1/500 shutter speed which can be extremly helpful

The only problem with the d40 is that I am mostly taking action photos and 2.5 is just a little to slow for me, is there another camera for the same price maybe used that I can get with an extra zoom lens? like possibly a canon rebel xt?

How about this?
http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXTSKKA.html
only problem is no zoom lens

The only problem with the d40 is that I am mostly taking action photos and 2.5 is just a little to slow for me

You definetly wont notice the .5fps difference. What you will notice is the dramaticly higher sync speed of the d40. And im not some d40 pusher, i actually have the d40x:D

Similar to the d40. Its got 2 more MP (irrelavent) but a smaller screen. I hate the feel of the rebels (very plasticy and cheap) but they do have the advantage of being able to use all the modern Canon lenses.

No problem, good luck with what ever you go with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back