TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
FYI to those who have them:

D5000 Service Advisory

July 16, 2009
Notice to users of the Nikon D5000 Digital SLR Camera
Thank you for choosing Nikon for your imaging needs.
While Nikon takes great measures to assure high quality in its imaging products, it has come to our attention that an electronic component related to power control in some Nikon D5000 digital SLR cameras does not meet factory specifications and may, in certain circumstances, prevent the camera from turning on, thus preventing operation of the camera.
Indications of this issue include:
  1. The camera cannot be operated when the power switch is on, even with a fully-charged battery.
  2. The camera cannot be operated with the EH-5a AC Adapter connected through the EP-5 Power Connector and the power switch on.
The solution:
Nikon has isolated the issues related to this and is effectively resolving them. Preparations are under way at a special Nikon repair facility to streamline the processes associated to the solution and Nikon will be equipped to correct D5000 cameras at this facility, beginning July 23, 2009. Service related to this issue, including the cost of shipping affected D5000 cameras to Nikon, as well as their return to customers, will be free of charge. To further minimize customer inconvenience, Nikon will return serviced cameras to customers promptly, employing (whenever possible) transportation that limits transit time to two days.
Is your D5000 affected?
Your D5000 serial number will make it easy to determine if your D5000 is affected by this issue. A serial number look-up tool will be available on this page beginning July 23, 2009. Therefore, we kindly ask D5000 users to return to this page on or after July 23rd to establish whether or not your camera requires the complimentary service related to this Service Advisory.
If your serial number indicates that your D5000 requires service:
Beginning July 23, 2009, this page will include easy-to-follow instructions for customers whose D5000 cameras have been identified (by serial number as noted above) as needing service related to this Advisory. The instructions will include shipping tips and a shipping label generator will be provided. Using the Nikon-generated label is both convenient and relieves you of the expense of shipping your camera to Nikon.
We apologize for any inconvenience that Nikon customers may experience as a result of this issue.
Nikon remains committed to providing only the highest quality photographic products and hopes that you will continue to choose Nikon for your imaging needs.
For additional information, please see the Frequently Asked Questions provided in the link below.

Ok, Anyone else send in their D5000? Mine was one of the effective serial numbers, but I haven't had any problems with it. As my first DSLR, I have been very happy with it.

They sent me a UPS 2-Day shipping label. I sent the camera out last monday, and haven't heard anything from them. I don't know how long it will take to fix. Anyone else send theirs in and have a time frame? I expect it back probably Monday or Tuesday.

Today is such nice weather, it would have been nice to go for a hike and take the camera along. I guess I take my 10 year old Cannon point and shoot and see what I get.

-Andy

Update. Just got off the phone with Nikon. They say they need 7-10 days from the time the receive it to fix the problem.

In reading my original post, it seams a little unclear. I sent it out this past monday (5 days ago). They received it Wednesday, processed it in their system on Thursday. That being said, it would ship from them either next thursday to the following Monday (Aug 10). I should have it back by Aug 12th. That's a long time, but will be worth it in the long run. I hope.

-Andy

Update. Just got off the phone with Nikon. They say they need 7-10 days from the time the receive it to fix the problem.

In reading my original post, it seams a little unclear. I sent it out this past monday (5 days ago). They received it Wednesday, processed it in their system on Thursday. That being said, it would ship from them either next thursday to the following Monday (Aug 10). I should have it back by Aug 12th. That's a long time, but will be worth it in the long run. I hope.

-Andy

That's not that bad considering I once waited 6 weeks for my Nikon P&S to come back from warranty service.

Latest update. Arrived home this evening and UPS tried to deliver, but I wasn't home to sign. If I was home that would be 10 days without the camera. Hope this helps anyone else that needs to send theirs in.

By the way, I put a note in with the camera to tell them to return it to my office, as I am always there to sign it, but apparently they didn't get it. I have called UPS, paid my $4.00 re-direct fee, and it will be delivered to my office tomorrow.

-Andy

Most reactions

Back