What's new

Nikon D5000 vs Lumix G1

Wannafish

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 22, 2010
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
Chilliwack, BC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After having my point and shoot camera stolen on my last vacation it's time to upgrade to a DSLR. After reading reviews it's hard to find side by side comparisons of certain models that do more than just show specs. We had a good look last night at both the Nikon D5000 and the Lumix G1 which both fall at the top of our price range. The camera will get used the way most point and shoot cameras get used but would like to see better performance in all aspects with the option to become a little more creative. The wife would like to expand to add a lense that would allow her to do portraits that blur the background while keeping the subject crisp. I read that both cameras perfrom well but question the newer technology that the Lumix has. The wife likes the way that the Lumix feels in her small hands but the lack of video seems somewhat limiting. I also like that the Nikon has a two year warranty.

I'm hoping that someone could help to steer us in the right direction so that we can be please with our purchase and expand on our lense choices.
 
I would say Nikon D5000 because I don't think Lumix G1 is an DSLR...?
 
The G1 is not a dSLR camera.

It has an electronic viewfinder which can be very difficult to use in low light (noise and low refresh rate) .

Thought the G1 has an interchangeable lens capability the lens to sensor spacing is not standard 4/3 spacing and thus lens selection is very limited.

Also the image sensor is exposed when changing lenses so it will get dirty pretty rapidly.

I would recommend the D5000 for your intended uses.
 
The G1 is not a dSLR camera.

It has an electronic viewfinder which can be very difficult to use in low light (noise and low refresh rate) .

Not completely true.... yes noise and refresh rate does slow a little but it is totally usable in low light and I use manual focus lenses exclusively on the camera. In fact, in really low light, the fact that the EVF increases brightness automatically is actually helpful.

Thought the G1 has an interchangeable lens capability the lens to sensor spacing is not standard 4/3 spacing and thus lens selection is very limited.

Yes.. limited. The lenses they do have are pretty darn good. 20mm f/1.7 is absolutely stellar.

Also the image sensor is exposed when changing lenses so it will get dirty pretty rapidly.

Not anymore than a typical DSLR.

If you are looking for a step above a P&S (OP did say that use will be more P&S like) then the m4/3rd is a viable option. It has all of the easy use and compact size of a P&S but with the advantage of

- interchangeable better quality lenses
- larger sensor than typical P&S.
- RAW capabilities
- Advanced modes

Otherwise.. if you see yourself more of a photographer as a serious hobby (more than just to record family vacations and such) you should consider the Nikon (or any other DSLR).


Not many people here use m4/3rd cameras so the bias is going to be obvious... and much rehashing from old threads and online reviews. I have both the G1 and EPL1 which compliments my other systems not replace them.
 
dont let video be the determining factor but between the two id say the D5000 is the better alternative and even if it didn't come with video and the G1 did.
 
Comparing the D5000 to the G-1 is now (June of 2010) somewhat unfair. The G-1 is now a discontinued product and should be selling at a distinct discount (I just bought one new for $499USD).

The proper comparison would be the D5000 and the G-2; the G-2 being a slightly improved G-1 that also adds HD video capability. You might also consider comparing the Nikon to the G-10 (G-2 minus the moving rear panel, simplified video, and a lower res eyelevel EVF) if you are price sensitive (G-10 = $599USD MSRP).
 
Nikon D5000 - for every single reason I would consider buying a camera. A DSLR that is. If I wanted a non DSLR I would go smaller and go for a Canon G11.
 
Thanks for all the feedback. I especially appreciate the info that has an explanation attached to it. We definately want to expand on our picture taking to include a little creativeness not just point and shoot. Is the Nikon that much better bang for my buck or are there a lot of people who are just brand loyal towards the Nikon?
 
Oh you haven't been here long enough..


Nikon loyal folks here are plentiful.... (sometimes annoyingly so).

But yeh.. you can't go wrong with the D5000 either...

You can get sample comparisons here:
Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

btw Dwig is right about the G1 being an old model. In my decision process, the E-PL1 has the best corner to corner images at ISO400 and above when compared to the other m4/3rds bodies. Layout ... eh... I'm getting used to it.


btw.. I'd take the m4/3rd body over a G11. The G11 isn't exactly pocketable and is still a tiny sensor camera. You want a good pocketable go with Canon S90 or LX3 (which too is barely pocketable).
 
Last edited:
Just found this too (perhaps the GH1 is a more appropriate comparison.. I am not sure)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Review: 25. Compared to (RAW): Digital Photography Review

also high iso samples

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcgh1/page27.asp

"Like the GH1 the Nikon image improves visibly compared to the out-of-camera JPEGs but it can't quite keep up with the Panasonic which, in RAW format as well, is up with the very best crop DSLRs in terms of image detail."

Take the reviews with a grain of salt... examine samples and make up your own mind. The hard thing here is not to immediately make up your mind based on the popularity of a single brand. Out of 100s of Nikon/Canon shooters I think there are only 3 members (that I know of) that have real first hand experience with the m4/3rds.

I will say though.... if you like "collecting" different lenses the m4/3rd system just can't compete... its too new.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom