Nikon D5100... Any basic accessories needed?

It's been quite awhile since I've posted, shift work is a real pain in the...
I'm still on the fence concerning clear filters since I do like taking photos of Christmas lights and other similar bright objects; I haven't ordered filters for either of my lenses. I am beginning to discover the D5100's flash to be somewhat weak so I may have to get a flash to have a little more capabilities in that area. Since I enjoy taking photos of hummingbirds, I think a better flash would really help with that kind of photography.
There are a few books like Dave Busch's D5100 guide I can read through our parish library's website so I'm good there. Replacing my ancient, wobbly tripod is something that needs to be done so I'll do that when I get my tax refund; I'll just have to be sure I can use it with my binoculars as well as the camera. I put an Optech wrist strap on the camera but I think I'll order a decent neck or sling strap to be able to carry the camera hands free; the included neck strap just looks to be plain ol' uncomfortable. These items should keep me (and my budget) busy for awhile. I've not really investigated what, if any macro capabilities my current 18-55 and 55-300 Nikon lenses have but I do enjoy taking close ups of insects, flowers, water drops, etc. I can see getting a macro lens if the 2 lenses I have won't cut it but that will have to wait until Christmas time. I am a patient person!
FWIW, I have enjoyed this camera much more than the Nikon P7800 and Canon G12 I've used in the recent past. I feel as if I'm scratching the surface of what this camera can do. I'm afraid my limited abilities hinder the camera's capabilities right now but it is fun to try to expand those capabilities.
Between shift work and lousy weather, I haven't been able to use the camera as much as I wanted to. I've spent what little spare time available trying to photograph some of the songbirds flitting about the woods behind my house. In time, I'll be able to do more.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back