Nikon D5100 battery grip

NE-KID

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There is alot reviews on YouTube about the Nikon D5100 and the battery grip upgrade/accessory. I was looking getting one before I do here's my question are they really worth it and what does the battery grip actually do for me? I know the battery grip makes the camera looks like a professional high end camera. Also, what manafacteur would be best to go with? Meike? Sorry if this subject has been brought up brought up over and over.

Last edited:
Besides an additional battery, most of those things are called vertical grips because they have a second shutter release button and set of controls to use when the camera is turned to the vertical framing orientation.

I have previously used the Zeikos brand of 3rd party battery grip on a Nikon D300. Otherwise, I had always used Nikon's vertical grips.

So is it really worth on getting a battery grip? I know its personal preference and would I really need one plus actually use the grip.

welcome to the forum. You mind backing up your moniker. Maybe post a photo. As a true rookie, let me be the first to tell you that you must post
a photo of yourself. We all had too, it's part of the initiation.

So is it really worth on getting a battery grip? I know its personal preference and would I really need one plus actually use the grip.
I have average sized hands but I felt the vertical grip allowed me much better control of the camera and lens.

Whichever camera/lens combo I used, the grip always seemed to make it more balanced.

I also felt the added weight (grip and second battery) also let me hold the camera steadier, though for many that are not in the best physical condition, the extra weight makes them tire quicker.

welcome to the forum. You mind backing up your moniker. Maybe post a photo. As a true rookie, let me be the first to tell you that you must post a photo of yourself. We all had too, it's part of the initiation.

Is there a topic area for this?

I have average sized hands but I felt the vertical grip allowed me much better control of the camera and lens.

Whichever camera/lens combo I used, the grip always seemed to make it more balanced.

I also felt the added weight (grip and second battery) also let me hold the camera steadier, though for many that are not in the best physical condition, the extra weight makes them tire quicker.

Thank you for the reply...I have big hands so I would believe I could hold the camera by it's self or with a battery grip of which ever I go with would this help I'll be using my Nikkor 18-55mm AF-S DX VR lens for right until I figure out what other lens I would like to purchase.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back