Nikon D5100 vs. D7000

I think for a mere $400, I would pick the D7000. Here in the states the price gap is more significant. You can pick up the D5100 with the kit lens for $750 but the D7000 is about $1500 (I've seen them for more than this). That's almost double the price. I personally couldn't justify the cost. I ended up with a D90. I chose that for the internal focus motor and the ability to make most of my important exposure changes without having to go into the menu.

Focus motor built into body
Top mount LCD screen (huge advantage in my opinion)
Dual control wheels
More dedicated buttons
Larger and more robust build
Flash commander mode (I do not believe the D5100 offers this, but could be wrong)
Faster frame rate
Dual memory card slots
I'm reporting a list of advantages of the D7000 from a previous post. The first six of these items (everything but the last two) are available at a price lower than the D5100...
I ended up with a D90.
...exactly :)

The D90 costs less than the D5100 and all it misses from the D7000 is 4 MP (12MP vs. 16MP), a slightly improved focused system, a slightly improved high-ISO performance and metering with REALLY old, manual focus lenses (AI).

Best way to tell whether that's worth the price is to try both. If you look at my signature, you'll see that my personal answer is no (especially since the difference will buy some good glass), but that's up to you to decide.

I think D7000 has CLS but D5100 doesn't, not sure though.

But what I'm sure is you can use manual focus lenses on D7000 and it'll give you light metering. This is what interests me most.

Focus motor built into body
Top mount LCD screen (huge advantage in my opinion)
Dual control wheels
More dedicated buttons
Larger and more robust build
Flash commander mode (I do not believe the D5100 offers this, but could be wrong)
Faster frame rate
Dual memory card slots
I'm reporting a list of advantages of the D7000 from a previous post. The first six of these items (everything but the last two) are available at a price lower than the D5100...
I ended up with a D90.
...exactly :)

The D90 costs less than the D5100 and all it misses from the D7000 is 4 MP (12MP vs. 16MP), a slightly improved focused system, a slightly improved high-ISO performance and metering with REALLY old, manual focus lenses (AI).

Best way to tell whether that's worth the price is to try both. If you look at my signature, you'll see that my personal answer is no (especially since the difference will buy some good glass), but that's up to you to decide.

Two or three more:

1080 vs 720 video
Auto focus vs manual focus in video
And not sure if the D90 has a fine tune focus adjustment for different lenses

I do agree he may be very happy with the D90. When the D90 first came out I wanted to step up from a D40X but then decided to go with the D80 because of the huge difference in cost and video is not important to me. I have the D7000 but still use the D80 occasionally.

Jerry

Let me start by saying this: I just got through (literally) with an in depth due diligence in regard to a new camera purchase. I am retired (young retired) and therefore have the time to do this. My wife and I spent hours and hours looking through forums, and reading posts, sifting through reviews on Amazon, Costco, DPreview, Snapsort, looking at videos on you tube from proffesionals watching the differences in cameras in the video reviews, reading, watching, comparing, blah, blah, blah.

We were comparing these models and manufacturers against each other Canon D60 and D7, Nikon D7000 and D5100 - (keep in mind we were fighting against the almighty $$$ in regards to great deals being offered by Costco on some of these camera's)...

Rather than bore you with the details I will just say this for what we wanted and how long we wanted it for we ended up with the D7000 for a lot of VERY GOOD reasons two of which were the body build and dual media cards and a whole host of other reasons.

I will tell you this, I was simply blown away by the many reviews I read about how bad the D5100 was in terms of reliability, about five reviewers all different, all said that the camera body was CHEAP and CHEESY feeling - with very immature basic stripped down controls and that for no apparent reason the camera started taking black pictures (sensor went dead) happened to all five. (Amazon reviews) That was the nail for me. Hope this helps you from making a mistake.

One more thing "The Nikon store" yes Mother Nikons online store had as of last night brand new body only units for sale for $1199.00 yes I know because I bought.

Last edited:
I was simply blown away by the many reviews I read about how bad the D5100 was in terms of reliability, about five reviewers all different, all said that the camera body was CHEAP and CHEESY feeling

That makes me wonder if they ever actually even have seen one in person.

One more thing "The Nikon store" yes Mother Nikons online store had as of last night brand new body only units for sale for $1199.00 yes I know because I bought.

just checked and they are all gone.

well I just checked and the web site still shows that you can add them to your cart and according to the store if that feature is active that means there is stock and that feature is still active as of three seconds ago - so not sure what's up with what happened to you ...?

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/niko...parentCategoryID.43886700/categoryID.43886800

Last edited:

well I just checked and the web site still shows that you can add them to your cart and according to the store if that feature is active that means there is stock and that feature is still active as of three seconds ago - so not sure what's up with what happened to you ...?

Nikon Store - Buy Nikon DSLR Camera & Digital SLR Cameras - NIKON Store

Maybe clear your browser cache, they are out of stock. If I use your link, it shows in stock, but if I refresh the page they turn to "Where to Buy" instead of "Shop Now".

Two or three more:

1080 vs 720 video
Absolutely, I hope my post was not misleading. I just mentioned the features that are most commonly used. But it is true that the D7000 has far better video capabilities. And for the focus fine tuning I honestly did not know :)

We were comparing these models and manufacturers against each other Canon D60 and D7, Nikon D7000 and D5100
Then you were not just choosing the model, you were also choosing the category of camera you wanted! The D5100 is an advanced entry level, the D7000 and the 60D are medium end APS-Cs and the 7D is probably the highest-end APSc on the market today. Anyway, I would have picked the same as you did :)

Bye bye!

Two or three more:

1080 vs 720 video
Absolutely, I hope my post was not misleading. I just mentioned the features that are most commonly used. But it is true that the D7000 has far better video capabilities. And for the focus fine tuning I honestly did not know :)

We were comparing these models and manufacturers against each other Canon D60 and D7, Nikon D7000 and D5100
Then you were not just choosing the model, you were also choosing the category of camera you wanted! The D5100 is an advanced entry level, the D7000 and the 60D are medium end APS-Cs and the 7D is probably the highest-end APSc on the market today. Anyway, I would have picked the same as you did :)

Bye bye!

I don't know if one could say the 7D is in a completely higher category than the D7000. I have never used a 7D but most of the reviews I have read/watched seem to put them pretty neck and neck. Even if the D7 is better, saying that they aren't even in the same catagory is a bit of a stretch.

I would also point out that the D7000 have far more over the D90 than a few mega pixels and a little ISO performance. More dynamic range, better color depth, less shutter lag, faster FPS, weather sealing, and more focus points just to name a few.

Most reactions

Back