Nikon D5100 vs D90

Lee_Maryland

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After trying Canon 60D, 7D, T3i, Nikon D7000, D90, and D5100. I am coming down between Nikon D5100, or D90.

Which camera would you guys recommend? I want to shoot baby, and wedding if it is all possible. The price for D7000 is a bit out of my reach at the moment, and D90 is just right. But Nikon has recently released D5100, and it has a newer sensor but it doesn't have the in camera focus motor. What is a focus motor? It allows you autofocus? Since all the new DX lenses have motors built in, would it matter if D5100 has it or not? Your input will be greatly valued, and I am making a purchase in the next 1-2 week.

Last edited:
As long as you bought lenses that had AF built in, you wouldn't need the body to have an AF motor. A camera that does have one would be able to use older lenses that you can often pick up on the cheap.

I haven't read much about the D5100 but one thing you might consider is that when you buy a flash, the D90 will let you use it off-camera without any additional equipment (as long as the flash supports Nikon's CLS system) because its pop-up flash can be used as a flash commander. The D5100 can't do that.

So it's like a wireless flash system? Care to explain it more?

Yep had a entry cam like the D5100 a D40 and within 6-9 months became frustrated.

1) Lack of built in motor for those great AF and AF-D lenses gives me more options with the D90. Saves me cash buying used and more lenses than just AF-S
2) Lack of dedicated controls. Have to stop and menu dig and missing shots. Now can change a crucial setting without my eye leaving the viewfinder.
3) CLS - Since the D90 has commander mode can control flash like the SB-600 wireless for off camera shots.
4) Grips - Can get a real dedicated battery grip and not the 3rd party IR kind which are not as capable.
5) Don't care for the video feature so not consideration for me.
6) Bigger & Brighter viewfinder makes for easier composition and seeing.

For me the Sensor is only a part of the equation. And use and ease in getting the shot are just as important. And the more capable D90 gives me options that the entry level cams don't. More controls so I can concentrate on getting the shot. And no cumbersome for me menu digging and missing shots like I use too.

Update on flash: Any camera that has Flash commander mode then you can use the popup flash to control the firing and adjustments of other flashes not mounted on the camera.

I want to shoot baby, and wedding if it is all possible..
No doubt, the D90.

There are some really nice, mid-range priced older design pro lenses that can be used for babies and weddings that don't have a focus motor in the lens that the D90 can, but the D5100 cannot, auto focus. Lens like the AF 50 mm f/1.8D (baby), AF 24-85 mm f/2.8-4 D (weddings), AF 80-200 mm f/2.8D (wedding formal shots)($650 (push-pull) to $800 (2-ring) used.)

I have an AF 24-85 mm f.2.8-4D If for sale for only $459 (see my siggy). The 24-85mm also has a 1:2 macro feature that is great for shooting closeups of wedding rings.

The current Pro wedding AF-S 24-70 mm f/2.8G is a $1900 lens: Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens

and the Pro wedding 70-200 mm f/2.8 is $2400: Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Nikkor Zoom Lens For Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The 17-55 2.8 ED is a great lens for newborn and toddler photography, I have used it for a little over a year now and have been really pleased with the results.

I just came into a 80-200 2.8 AF-D (two ring) and love that lens as well. Both together would make a nice setup for small weddings and portrait shoots.

p!nK

Thanks guys. Looks like I'm going with the d90. You guys think it's better just to get the kit lens, or buy the body then go with a 50mm?

I always recommend the kit lens. As it will take some shooting through out the range to see where your needs and preferred range is. And the 50mm can be added cheaply latter. Even tho everyone should have a prime or two in their kit at some point.

I know it's been said but I have found it very important personally; D90 = More dedicated controls, Flash Commander & Focus Motor. Using the $125 50mm f/1.8 lens alone is worth the focus motor.

I agree with orb about the kit lens. That's good advice.

AF lense should not be an issue anymore with non motor body: 35mm AF-S 1.8 is available (and will be like ~50mm on a DX body) and 50mm AF-S 1.8 will be available in June.

Here is a different prespective to think about and ask yourself:

Will I be playing with manual control alot? making immediate changes shots after shots? D5100 can also make most of the changes except its embedded in the menu vs direct dial.

If you are just starting out in Nikon DSLR, there shouldn't be a consideration for none motor'ed lenses. The future is SWM for all lenses. This should not be the deciding factor if you are not already invested in Nikon AF lenses.
Besides, its not like AF lens won't work on D5100. It just won't autofocus and again, if you are serious into manual controls, you probably will like to learn how to manual focus and may enjoy it too.

Larger sensor (someone already mentioned)

Does weight matter? D5100 is much lighter than D90.

Video, video and video. D90 is outdated. If you want to shoot HD video on occasion, D5100 is the way to go.

Agree with Orb on kit lens, if this is your first DSLR, kit lens is a good start kit and will probably be used 90% of the time. For babies and newborn, get a 50mm 1.8 or 35mm 1.8.

Frankly, I would not recommend any newbie to get a D90 over D5100 (assume they are the same price.) If you are that serious and concerned about getting a better built camera, direct manual control, use of AF lenses, then you should invest the extra cash and get the D7000 instead (or find a used D90 for really low price, spend the difference on the extra lens)

D5100 is alot more user friendly and has some "point-n-shoot" effects that may keep a newbie interested. Its truly a first step camera for the novice and may be more enjoyable as a first DSLR than the D90 as you get into this hobby and lets not forget the better video feature.

Unless D90 is significantly cheaper, I just can't see how it is a better recommendation for a newbie.

Neither camera is no better than each other for taking baby photos or wedding, your skills and perhaps the lens you choose matters more. 50mm 1.8 is a good start for low light, none flash settings for baby portraits. You don't want to be flashing any newborns.

good luck.

Last edited:
@ webada

The D90 is still an extremely capable camera and until the D7000 came along, the D90 was still the camera to have in it's prince range.

Considering that a new in the box D90 can be purchased here for $729.00 as compared to the D7000 at $1129.00 and the D5100 at $769.00, I know what camera I would purchase. I would rather have the D90 and put the savings over the D7000 to better lenses.

The D90 has a significantly better viewfinder system than the D5000 or D5100, in my opinion. That alone, the viewfinder system, is my MAIN dislike of the baby Nikons.

For those that don't know, the Nikon D40/D40x/D60/D3000/D3100/D5000/D5100 all have a pentamirror type viewfinder, while the Nikon D70/D70s/D80/D90/D7000 have a pentaprism type of viewfinder, like the prosumer and pro Nikon's have.

I hate my viewfinder! Can't see shyt....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back