Nikon D7000 or Canon 60D... What to buy?

hassiman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I own no DSLR equipment at present so I am able to start fresh...

What say ye?:mrgreen:

I own no DSLR equipment at present so I am able to start fresh...

What say ye?:mrgreen:
Not enough info about the type of photography you want to do.

No sense buying a Corvette Z01 if you need a pickup truck to haul lumber all the time.

DxOMark - Compare sensors

^ DXO Mark is probably one of the most useless tools for new DSLR buyers, IMO. The subtle differences between similarly classed cameras is mostly moot if you introduce any kind of post processing or downsizing. Which is likely the case for anyone not printing posters and billboards.

More important IMO are features, erganomics, menus, options, button layout, etc. What you're doing is buying into a system rather than a single camera; IE lenses, flashes, accessories, etc. Both Canon and Nikon offer plenty of excellent high quality products with only minor differences between most models (maybe a bit more difference in higher end models with different philosophies of use). Either would be a good choice for entry into the DSLR world. Go to a store, pick them up, fiddle with the menus and controls. See how comfortable each is to operate and change various settings and pick which one works best for you.

Between those two cameras, the D7000 is better than the 60D in just about every technical regard, but your mileage may vary. More often than not skill and technique are more important than gear; IE don't think you will be getting "less" of a camera with a 60D or that your images will magically be "better" with a D7000. Either camera would be fine.

Pick up a book or read up online about how exposure works in DSLRs and how full and semi auto modes are used compared to a point and shoot. Understanding Exposure is a decent place to start, but I've always loved Scott Kelby's book series The Digital Photography Book volume 1, 2, and 3.

Amazon.com: The Digital Photography Book (9780321474049): Scott Kelby: Books

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back