Nikon D7500 - New Flash or Prime Lens

Kenny Thompson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post. I have recently upgraded from a low-end Nikon DX to a high-end DX body. I have over the years bought some prime lenses(35mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, 18-300mm 3.5, and Sigma 17-70mm 2.8). I do mostly pet photography and portraits. I’ve had my eyes on the Nikon 80mm 1.8 lens but I’m using a SunPak flash so I want to upgrade to the Nikon SB700, as well. I know I will purchase both eventually so my question is what everyone’s thoughts are on what will make a better immediate impact to my type of photography. I know this is a loaded question but I’m not sure what purchase I should prioritize since they are basically the same cost. TIA!

It sounds like you have four lenses... I think a good Nikon flash would be quite nice to have. The Nikon 85 mm F / 1.8 G-series lens is a really nice lens, very sharp, affordable, and dependable . It is one of the sharpest lenses under $4,000 according to extensive testing done by dxomark.

For the record, the D7500 is of course an entry level body. Features that any Nikon semipro or pro body has, such as a second card slot, a battery grip, or support for AI lenses, are missing.

Having good lighting beats having a good lens.

Nowadays I recommend Phottix for flash.

.. I’m using a SunPak flash ..
Hi, and welcome!

If you are using the SunPak flash mounted in the hotshoe, then by using a flash that will twist and turn will improve your shots, but if you really want to improve, get the flash off your camera. Mount your flash on a light stand and fire it using a flash cable from your camera.

Knowing how to set up and use a flash will improve your photography by leaps and bounds. Don't forget flash modifiers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back