Nikon D7500 - New Flash or Prime Lens

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Kenny Thompson, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Kenny Thompson

Kenny Thompson TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi All,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post. I have recently upgraded from a low-end Nikon DX to a high-end DX body. I have over the years bought some prime lenses(35mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, 18-300mm 3.5, and Sigma 17-70mm 2.8). I do mostly pet photography and portraits. I’ve had my eyes on the Nikon 80mm 1.8 lens but I’m using a SunPak flash so I want to upgrade to the Nikon SB700, as well. I know I will purchase both eventually so my question is what everyone’s thoughts are on what will make a better immediate impact to my type of photography. I know this is a loaded question but I’m not sure what purchase I should prioritize since they are basically the same cost. TIA!

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    It sounds like you have four lenses... I think a good Nikon flash would be quite nice to have. The Nikon 85 mm F / 1.8 G-series lens is a really nice lens, very sharp, affordable, and dependable . It is one of the sharpest lenses under $4,000 according to extensive testing done by dxomark.

3. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

For the record, the D7500 is of course an entry level body. Features that any Nikon semipro or pro body has, such as a second card slot, a battery grip, or support for AI lenses, are missing.

Having good lighting beats having a good lens.

Nowadays I recommend Phottix for flash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

Hi, and welcome!

If you are using the SunPak flash mounted in the hotshoe, then by using a flash that will twist and turn will improve your shots, but if you really want to improve, get the flash off your camera. Mount your flash on a light stand and fire it using a flash cable from your camera.

Knowing how to set up and use a flash will improve your photography by leaps and bounds. Don't forget flash modifiers.