Nikon D80 Portrait Lens

ronaldb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

I am want to buy a portrait lens for my Nikon D80 but I am unsure of what to get.

I like to do available light portraits (shoulder + head) but my Nikon AF-S 18-135 is too slow.

Is the Nikon 85mm F1.8D an option?

the 85mm is a fine choice, but u may mind it too long on your crop sensor camera. A 50mm would be more versitle and 1/3rd the price (for the af-d version).

Ideally id recommend a 70-200 or 80-200mm f2.8.

Btw, u should consider spending the extra $$ on the new afs "g" version of the 50mm f1.8, its the first nikon 50 with aspherical elements and has better sharpness and contrast wide open, even better then the pricey 50mm f1.4g

I would recommend getting the 50mm 1.8g. I bought the d and it works amazing and is budget friendly but I wish I would have bought the g for the autofocus motor in the lens.

I would recommend getting the 50mm 1.8g. I bought the d and it works amazing and is budget friendly but I wish I would have bought the g for the autofocus motor in the lens.

That's the last reason to buy the G (assuming you have a focus motor in your camera body). The D version focuses very fast and accurately, I doubt you'll notice an improvement in that area. The optics is where the real upgrade is.

I will never understand the severe confusion and disorientation about this stuff...

Think about the following:
How far are you willing to stand from your subject? How narrow of a Fov are you willing to accept?
What perspective do you want, wide angle [stretched] or telephoto [compressed]?
What is your budget?

Think these through properly and you should very easily have your lens choice. We can only help you so much, because only you know fully what you intend to shoot.

Last edited:
I ended up getting the 50mm 1.8D and I am very happy with it. Its very fast and I spend less than AUD 200 including a filter.

I agree I love the 50mm f/1.8D. It is a great lens and it works great on my D5100. Took some great Christmas pictures with it this weekend and realized the AF motor not being in the lens isn't a big deal. Good luck with the lens and hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. 😃

My profile picture was taken with this lens on the Nikon D5100 at f1.8 with natural lighting. No flash used

DX body does great things with the 50 1.4!

I just wish Nikon would come out with a faster 50 with more glass so I can use the filters as my 70-200 and 24-70 2.8 glass!!!!!!!!

Most reactions

Back