Nikon D80 Vs. Pentax K10D

they are all good cameras, and you cant go wrong regardless of the choice you make.

As for the sharpness lacking according to DPreview, please keep in mind that DPreview is a commercial business that "may" be bias ;) If it isn't a canon or a nikon on that site, it probably doesnt perform so well.

As far as the weather sealing goes that would probably be important to me because I am going to want to use my new camera and I want to pay attention to my photographs not thinking "Am I taking a chance of ruining my camera". I know that the D200 is very highly looked at by many people and I have a question about it that may seem stupid. I notice the D200 doesn't have a mode dial (Portrait, Landscape and Auto). Does it have an auto function somewhere in the menus if I ever see shots that might be a spur of the moment thing?

Also, even though the D200 is supposed to be a "better" camera, the D80 is newer. Is there any opinions as far as big differences between the two that are really noticeable and utilized?

As far as the weather sealing goes that would probably be important to me because I am going to want to use my new camera and I want to pay attention to my photographs not thinking "Am I taking a chance of ruining my camera". I know that the D200 is very highly looked at by many people and I have a question about it that may seem stupid. I notice the D200 doesn't have a mode dial (Portrait, Landscape and Auto). Does it have an auto function somewhere in the menus if I ever see shots that might be a spur of the moment thing?

Also, even though the D200 is supposed to be a "better" camera, the D80 is newer. Is there any opinions as far as big differences between the two that are really noticeable and utilized?

The main difference's are that the D-200 has the sealing feature, the hard body and as I recall a tad faster.

Also (and this the one thing that sometimes makes me wish that I'd sprung for the D200 instead of the D80), in addition to CPU, the D200 has the mechanical coupling that allows metering with older AI and AIS-type lenses.

I ended up deciding that if I was to get one of the two cameras, I would get the D80 but I decided that I would rather use the money for gas (which is up to $2.80/gallon up here) and for trips using my existing camera. Maybe down the road I will get the D80. I do appreciate everyone's responses.

Good choice; better to have an older camera and the opportunity to use it. And thankyou for providing entertainment for those of us across the Atlantic with the idea that $2.80 per gallon is expensive :lol:

Good choice; better to have an older camera and the opportunity to use it. And thankyou for providing entertainment for those of us across the Atlantic with the idea that $2.80 per gallon is expensive :lol:

lol No problem! It has been around $2.35/gallon and over the last two weeks made some great leaps up to around $2.85/gallon. Of course summertime it will probably be around $3.30/gallon like previous summers. Just going to have to cut down on the amount of driving I guess but I do have a trip scheduled for June either to Chicago or Philadelphia so that's all that matters.

Most reactions

Back