Nikon d800

I think the real question is, which lens are you going to get for the D800? For wide angle we all know the 14-24mm is probably the best bet, but there's also the 17-35mm which I personally will prefer (not that I have experience with either lens) simply for the form factor and easy of carrying around.

The D800 is an awesome camera, the real limitation I have with it is 4fps...and that simply does not work with some of the photography I do. For now I will keep my D700 with a Nikon grip which does a great job with my primes and save up. One of my friends who does a fair bit of location work swears by it, but he also uses his D300s as well...It can get expensive no doubt.

OP,

You asked which of two cameras would best suit your needs for landscapes and concerts. I'll not muddy the waters with other models or brands since you might know about those. D3s or D800 - both would be just fine. The D800 is less expensive and is an excellent choice for landscape and studio work. However the D3s is a real workhorse with pro build and pro handling, it is not a bad choice either.

For event coverage, the D3s is the better camera. The D800 has 36mp files, and doesn't have the same speed that will help you grab as many frames as you need. You'll also blow through memory in terms of both cards and hard-drives in a very short time. It's also advisable to have a very powerful computer if you are going to be doing any CPU intensive processing of that large of a file.

The D600 is a great camera, similar in low light to the D3 or maybe D3s, though the grain is finer. Also great for landscapes, as the dynamic range is incredible. Though, it doesn't have the speed you'd be looking for if you were shooting events (buffer fills in only 15 shots). They are still large files, but not on the same level as the D600.

If you were doing only landscapes, the D800 would be the perfect camera. If you are doing both events and landscapes, the D600 is probably a nice compromise if you aren't shooting like crazy.

You want to shoot two completely difference subjects(landscapes, events). That require two very different camera specs to excell. Then your asking about two completely different cameras as to what they are going to work best doing. Of coarse both will work good for doing both.

but the d3s is all about speed with high fps and great Top iso performance to squeeze the most out of it 12mp was the compromise in file size. But 12mp is great for anyone who can fill the frame, chose the right lens and dont crop and you should never need more.

The d800 is slow fps wise and falls behind in iso performance slightly, but is very good went you need to crop or have huge very detailed files.

I do a lot of wildlife, and the d800 is taking over for that. Dx like focal distances with iso of a FF sensor. No brainer really. Just give up a few fps.

But really i would love to own a d3s one day as well

Most reactions

New Topics

Back