Nikon D810 Purchase HELP PLEASE

Paramed3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have read and looked at upgraded cameras until I am blue in the face. I finally think the Nikon D810 Full Frame FX is the camera I want. Probably the Filmakers package.

Well Today while reading around I found some reviews and even though most are outstanding about 40 out of 173 were horrible and negative. Said unlike the D800 the front of the body is made of Plastic and not metal and will or can crack in time where the lens snap in and are supported by the body especially larger lens. The storage was small and very hard to keep up with. Several other very negative and valid points.

What am I missing here ? I just want a really good FX full frame and I can not afford the high end I think its the DS4 or D4s. Does anyone know what direction to turn ? I get so sick of reading reading and reading only to make up my mind and now see these post. HELP, I need anyone out there using the D810 or someone that knows the full frames with a better idea. I had read the D910 may be out before Black Friday but no one in chat at Nikon seems to know.

Thank you,

The D810 is one of the best DSLR ever produced.
I use one for over a year now, and have little to complain about it. The front mount is metal, not plastic.
Stop reading. Rent one before buying, or just go to a store and try one for yourself.

Here some sample shots of mine:
Nikon D810

Said unlike the D800 the front of the body is made of Plastic and not metal and will or can crack in time where the lens snap in and are supported by the body especially larger lens.

This is why you shouldn't believe everything you read on the Interweb. :D

Full metal body D800/D810 . I shoot weddings with this thing :eek:
nikon-d800-magnesium-alloy-shell[1].jpg

WOW neat pic. They said the 800 had a full metal body but the D810 came with a cheaper front plastic.

WOW neat pic. They said the 800 had a full metal body but the D810 came with a cheaper front plastic.

Do you want to show me some official document regarding this? They're basically the same camera with improvement in AF, ISO, ergonomics, and a few other areas. Both D800 and D810 are full metal, magnesium alloy. SMH

Last edited:
The construction of both the D800/D800e and D810 are the same. Although the D810 is made in Thailand vs the D800/D800e were made in Japan but that shouldn't make a difference.

who is "they"? The D810 has a full magnesium frame just like the D800.

the D610 and D750 have the composite front.

What am I missing here ?
You seem to getting too much.....errant commentary.

Just jump on in; the water and cameras are fine.

While you understandably would like to make the world's best deal on the world's best and latest technology, you are worrying yourself to a frazzle. Just pick one, buy it, and have some fun already.

Said unlike the D800 the front of the body is made of Plastic and not metal and will or can crack in time where the lens snap in and are supported by the body especially larger lens.
Why yes there are really crappy reviews out there - reviews that contain the most obvious and riddiculous errors.

First of all yes the D810 body is of course made from magnesium alloy.

Second of all that doesnt matter because the lens mount is part of the internal structure, and even the D610 uses metal for this internal structure.

Third of all large lenses arent hold at the camera, they are hold at the lens. Such large lenses also have their own lens mount for tripods, too.

Fourth of all its NATURAL that you hold a camera at the lens instead of the camera grip simply because everything else gets increasingly impractical due to balance reasons when the lens gets really heavy.

So yes you can handle the heaviest of lenses, even with a D610, without any problem of the camera ever breaking.

The storage was small and very hard to keep up with. Several other very negative and valid points.
What the heck ? I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. The storage of the D810 is the memory card and how fast that one is depends upon how high the quality of the card you use is.

And I strongly doubt any validity, given the previous examples.

Most reactions

Back