Nikon D90 - Good Idea?

treeafodo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am currently shooting with a D3000 that my mom has lent to me. During Christmas time my uncle asked if I was interested in his low shutter count D90 with a kit lens so that I would have my own camera.
He texted me today with a price, he said $500 Canadian with the 18-105 kit lense.

I know it's an older camera, but I currently don't own my own camera and budget is a bit of an issue as I'm paying for tuition myself. I wanted your opinions. What do you guys think?

D90 is a fine piece of kit - ask anybody here who shoots Nikon and chances are they've been through one on their way to where they are at! :)

I am not sure on the price - as it's still $450 USD but maybe as he's your uncle he can be negotiated with?

I dont know anyone using a d90 that has a bad word to say about it. A great camera

...and i use my 18-105 quite often,even though i own 24-70 2.8,70-200 2.8.

D90 is an excellent camera; it would be a reasonable upgrade from your mom's D3000. My sister bought hers when they first came out and has never seen the need to upgrade. And I'd say 90% of the time, she shoots with the 18-105 lens.

So the question is, is it worth the price your uncle is asking? I don't know the conversion rates to USD, but Bright says it would be about $450. That actually seems fairly reasonable to me, based on the prices I'm seeing on Ebay and such for those two items. Still, perhaps your uncle would take a little less, or allow you to pay in installments, something like that?

...and don't be afraid to play the "family" card...this might be your only chance with this relative!! ;)

I am currently shooting with a D3000 that my mom has lent to me. During Christmas time my uncle asked if I was interested in his low shutter count D90 with a kit lens so that I would have my own camera.
He texted me today with a price, he said $500 Canadian with the 18-105 kit lense.

I know it's an older camera, but I currently don't own my own camera and budget is a bit of an issue as I'm paying for tuition myself. I wanted your opinions. What do you guys think?

The D90 is a great camera actually, still very usable. $500 Canadian is about what they run used with the kit lens so your not getting an unbelievable deal but it's not a bad one either.

Loved that camera (too bad it got stolen)...two command dials make it much easier to shoot in manual mode than the D3000/D5000 series....and it has commander mode, in case you want to use off-camera flash.

It is a fantastic camera if you're on a budget. But I would try to bring the price down a bit, see if your uncle will part with it for $400 including the lens. I don't think I'd pay $500 for that camera with that lens but that's just me.

Are you saying you don't own any camera for yourself right now? If not, the D90 is plenty to start with and will give you the feel of a serious body, not that the D3000 isn't a serious tool. Any DSLR can make fine images. There's no camera that makes a "better picture." The camera determines only how well the information you put through it is recorded. If it's bad information, the photo is still bad. And different cameras give you different controls. However, $500 looks a bit steep for a D90, especially when you can get a D300 for about the same and a D200 for less. At least try to get it down to $400.

I am going to be a bit less enthusiastic then the other.

Is the D90 a good camera ?
Well its ok but old and for what your uncle is asking there are better cameras.
Personally I think its not little money what your uncle is asking for a used out of date camera.
I would invest a tiny more and get the Nikon D5200, sorry but the D90 is ok but nothing more, technology keeps moving and doesn't wait for anyone, the D90 was already replaced twice by the D7000 and D7100.
The lens he is offering with the camera is a good lens.
Personally I wouldn't pay a dime over 400$ if I would take the camera but honestly I would make a little squeeze in my pocket and get a new and modern Nikon D5200 with the same lens.

Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it! I'll try to play the family card and talk him down a little bit more. I will more than likely purchase it.

D90 is an amazing camera, currently there isn't another camera I would buy for that kind of money, and I wouldn't ever sell my D90 unless it's to upgrade to full frame!

Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it! I'll try to play the family card and talk him down a little bit more. I will more than likely purchase it.
I love my d90. Built in AF motor, Auto FP, dual command wheels. Never had issues or really outgrew it. The resolution of the newer cameras is great but unless you're cropping a lot, it doesn't make that much of a difference. I've done lots of paid work with it and used within its limits, it does well. If I need cleaner high ISO or faster AF, I just grab my d700. If you can get a good deal on it, Go for it. I have gotten good shots that I have printed up to around ISO 3200 but only a 4x6 ( for my enjoyment.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back