What's new

Nikon D90 - Good or Bad?

JRZL

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 15, 2010
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
UK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi

Im looking to buy a Nikon D90 and was wondering if it is a good camera? I already have the Nikon D60 with extra lens and a flashgun etc so would like another camera which these lens and flashgun fit. (55 - 200mm nikon lens, 18 - 55mm lens, nikon fisheye 16mm and nikon sb 600)
I would be using it for taking photos and videos, but mainly videos. I have heard that it isnt the best one you can get for this? If so, What one would you recommend in this price range which would also be suitable to use with my current lens and flashgun?

Thanks in advance
 
Maybe you should be looking for a video camera instead? From what Ive heard the d90 is an outstanding camera!
 
the d90 is a large step up from your d60. you will love it. Although i have heard that canon has better movie modes.
 
I have just purchased the nikon l110 i have been into pics for years started with minolta slr all manual i wont bore you my last thing i will say to you could spend 10£ to 800£ plus its what you do with the kit do you have an eye for pics do you want point and shoot they all have there place i bought the nikon as i do use the full kit on it great cammera
 
End off the day when i cleaned out for 5phave a built in light metre i can go to asda an get my sd card cleaned out for 5 p a pic sortted
 
The movie mode on the D90 is very basic, very primitive, and very limiting. Here's a link that goes into detail on the D90's video mode: Nikon D90 Video Review

It is FAR from ideal. It's not just way behind regular handicams, but its behind Canon DSLR video as well.
 
I think if you're looking for video - buy a video camera; apparently the D90 has drawbacks in video. The video recorders are made to take videos for quite a while where the D90 can only take videos for a certain time (5 or 10 minutes or so).
 
I think if you're looking for video - buy a video camera; apparently the D90 has drawbacks in video. The video recorders are made to take videos for quite a while where the D90 can only take videos for a certain time (5 or 10 minutes or so).

+1000

I mean... Nikon doesn't really make a "bad" camera, per se. And the D90 is far from the bottom of the pack. It's leaps and bounds above your D60.

That said, if you want video, get a video camera. DSLRs can take "fine" videos, but it's not their primary purpose and therefore not what they excel in.

Asking if a D90 is a good video camera is kind of like asking if an El Camino is a good pickup truck. :)
 
End off the day when i cleaned out for 5phave a built in light metre i can go to asda an get my sd card cleaned out for 5 p a pic sortted

yeah, what he said.:scratch::scratch::scratch:




p!nK
 
I think if you're looking for video - buy a video camera; apparently the D90 has drawbacks in video. The video recorders are made to take videos for quite a while where the D90 can only take videos for a certain time (5 or 10 minutes or so).
It's 5 min in the highest resolution, but video is rarely shot in segments anywhere near that long and is basically a non issue.
 
I agree, if you want a video recorder than you need to buy one.

I love my d90, dont get me wrong. It is just not great for video!
 
The camera is excellent. I absolutely love mine! The video capacities aren't good though. Limit of 5 min per video and just not very good in general. If you want a video camera, get either a camcorder or a Canon DSLR.
 
The movie mode on the D90 is very basic, very primitive, and very limiting. Here's a link that goes into detail on the D90's video mode: Nikon D90 Video Review

It is FAR from ideal. It's not just way behind regular handicams, but its behind Canon DSLR video as well.

So basically while Nikon is focusing on making their cameras take better pictures, being they are DSLRs canon is outfitting their cameras with movie modes and just putting in bigger MP sensors to trick people? Mmm hmm sounds about right. Also cfusion I love how you advocate canon in everything, not only is it very immature but plain dumb and fanboyish.


To the Op if you want video buy a video camera, buying a DSLR for video is like buying a car to haul stuff, its dumb. If you really want a good video mode go with the 5D mark II though, I've heard its great.
 
^^^ with the "peeing on the canon logo" avatar... yes, I'm sure you are a very unbiased source of info.

:lol:
 
I was thinking of getting the D90 then selling my D60. I would use it about 50% for photos and 50% for videos.
I'm going to have a look now at some video recorders and maybe the canons, do some compairing.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom