Nikon D90 Purchasing (Need Help)

dezignx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, I am on ebay trying to find a good deal on the Nikon D90. I am new at purchasing a dslr, so help me out please. If it helps, I am wanting to do more like studio photography (children,models,seniors,etc)

Anyway, what should I look for in the listing. I know to get the camera, lol, but what lens or other items I will need?

Here is one of the many listings I found....

Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera Body - with:
EN-EL3e Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
MH-18a Quick Charger
USB Cable
Audio/Video Cable
Neck Strap
BM-10 LCD Monitor Cover
Body Cap
DK-5 Eyepiece Cap
DK-21 Rubber Eyecup
BS-1 Accessory Shoe Cap
Software Suite CD-ROM
Instruction Booklets
1 Year Warranty Included
Nikon 18-105mm AF-S DX f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikkor Lens -with:
Nikon Front Lens Cap
Nikon Rear Lens Cap
Instruction Booklet
1 Year Warranty Included

Is this the lens I need/are these lens ok?

Also, when they have camera body only kit, means just the camera with no lens right?

eta: or what about this listing

Or is it cheaper to buy the camera body kit then find the lens cheap?

Thanks

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The 18-105 lens isnt too bad for a kit lens, but if you are serious about photography, you will easily outgrow it before too long and buy more lenses that will end up replacing the 18-105...its what I did. What I'm saying is that you might want to just consider buying the camera body by itself, then shopping separately for a good lens to go with it. I did some checking and currently between amazon, adorama, and BH Photo, amazon has the best deal for the d90 at $889

Here is the listing
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D90-12-3MP-Digital-Body/dp/B001ET5U92/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1241098152&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Nikon D90 12.3MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only): Electronics[/ame]

Thanks alot for your input...I will price things separately and see (I am just searching for the camera body itself and the lens separate....nothing is to look for??)

but still is this a good deal this is a different lens

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I got burned by "new York" camera stores. Why buy off of ebay if you want to buy new? I would recommend B&H first, Adorama second, and Amazon as well. I may be shy because I got taken once, but I stick with whats good for me from now on. I have built up a good relationship with B&H and they took care of me when I purchased my 600 f/4. Just be careful....whats 50 bucks or so for piece of mind?

I got burned by "new York" camera stores. Why buy off of ebay if you want to buy new? I would recommend B&H first, Adorama second, and Amazon as well. I may be shy because I got taken once, but I stick with whats good for me from now on. I have built up a good relationship with B&H and they took care of me when I purchased my 600 f/4. Just be careful....whats 50 bucks or so for piece of mind?

Agree 100%

Have heard of too many bad stories about EBay purchases.

You will want to check the reseller on "resellerratings.com"

"Kits" normally costs less. BUT (imo) EBay has many "junk kits" - they include lower quality lens, cheap bag, and bunch of other lower quality accessories. They make it look like you are getting a great number of items, but if you add up total of things you will actually use, you are overpaying.

The things listed are really all just the things that come with the nikon d90 18-105 kit. And yes amazon and adorama and bh are great.

If you're on a budget, post a wanted ad up on craigslist for a D90. That's what I did and found a barely used D90 kit with a clean sensor and lens for the retail price of the body. If you use ebay, set up a live.com cashback account so you can get a discount (8% right now but was 14%) and it's applicable to most online stores too (Adorama, J&R, etc.).

One thing to be careful about on Amazon is to make sure its Amazon the listed seller or a reputable seller like Adorama or Cameta. As Amazon lists the lowest price from a seller with item in stock. Sometimes a not so good store will list a low price and they will be listed on the main part of the page.

Cameta is also on ebay. They have new, and quite a few refurbished cameras that are a hundred or two cheaper normally deppending on what the camera is. I have purchased 4 bodies through Cameta on their ebay site and on their Amazon link (D50, D40X, D300, D300). Always quick delivery, and no phone calls or upsells. Basically you pay for it, they ship it. They are a real store too.

AVOID the kits that include no name flashes, and 5 lenses. They are throwing in usless cheap things to make it seem like your getting alot for what your paying. In reality you getting a bunch of cheap stuff you will eventually realize you never use. Most of the big kits that advertise 3-5 lenses actually only have 2-3 real lenses and the others are really screw on attachments, not real lenses. And of very low quality! Useually the lenses in these kits are also the cheapest ones. They may be even brand name like nikon. But instead of being a VR lens like in other kits. They give you a normal lens.

So make sure if you choose not to shop B&H, Adorama make sure the kit has real items. Amazon has a few stores that lists these mega kits. Stay away from them! And look closely at each item when you do look at a kit. Make sure its not the cheaper version or worse yet a cheap imitation.

Ive actually had no bad experiences with Amazon. I bought a D90 back in december, then a few months later, the latch that holds the pop-up flash broke (from my doing..). Anyways I contacted them and told them and they over-nighted me a new D90 at no extra cost. Now THATS service!

Thanks!

Good information but I now I feel really confused now, LOL.

Can someone tell me please what to look for (please list it)? *names/versions/sizes or whatever lol

What exactly am I buying or needing? The camera, the lens(what lens) and anything else (flashes)?

So, I will need more than 1 lens?

I'm not really on a budget, but I would take a nice used one since this will be my first DSLR camera.

I will check out those sites, I've been on adorama so I'll revisit again.

I just basically need to know all what I need so I can search and compare prices.

I hear you say lower quality lens so what are the good quality lens??

Thanks

Hi Dezign, I was in your exact spot almost 2.5 weeks ago where I had no clue what I needed, what I was looking for, or where to go for it.

Buying a digital SLR: Guides: Learn: Digital Photography Review

You should check out this website in its entirety from camera bodies, lenses etc. it's a nice resource to go to. There are plenty more websites that I'll post later when I find them.

As far as buying from ebay, I think you should stay away. I've talked to other first time buyers who have gotten screwed with buying camera packages from there that sound "too good to be true." I've heard horror stories about wrong lenses being shipped, not fitting onto the body, the body not turning on, etc. It's a much better idea to go with adorama or b+h. The last time I was on adorama's website I believe they were selling the d90 kit at 999 which sounds like a very nice deal.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back