Nikon D90 successor anytime soon?

Box801

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was looking to upgrade my D80 to a D90 although its been a fair amount of time since the D90 has been released. Does anyone know if a successor (ex. D100) will be released anytime soon by Nikon? It seems like the D90 is at its final days...

According to NikonRumors, expect an announcement on August 19th. I believe there is a D95 coming online with 34 focal points. Also some new lenses (including an 18-200 FX) and a replacement to the D3000 (D3100) are expected.

According to NikonRumors, expect an announcement on August 19th. I believe there is a D95 coming online with 34 focal points. Also some new lenses (including an 18-200 FX) and a replacement to the D3000 (D3100) are expected.
Or at least, rumored. At this point nothing is certain.

There were 2½ years from the D70 launch to the D80 launch, and only 2 years between the D80 and D90. The D90 was launched just short of 2 years ago as of 8/19.

There was a D70s so the next D90 may be a D90s with only slight improvement. What the D90 really needs is a video capability on par with, or better than video in the Canon T2i.

Last edited:
I have heard nothing yet, but with Canon getting ready to anonce the 60D along with some other stuff, I don't expect Nikon will stand by and say nothing so I'll go out on a limb here and say most defiantly. It's about that time anyways.

Nikon has been in the works of a replacement for the D90 and the D300s. I doubt they'll move to a D90s. Shoot me if I'm wrong. Supposedly on Nikon Rumors they're going to a D95. Everyone's been anticipating they're new layout with more autofocus points, better video, more FPS, and of course a much larger sensor then they're traditional 12.3 that's been in many of their cameras. I feel that they will release something for the D90 and the D300s and even the D700 before they do anything about the D3k or D5k. Only thing I would look forward to is better video and better ISO performance.. well atleast availability to go to a higher ISO and better performance upon that availability. I'd be pretty pissed if they released a D3k replacement... just because i JUST got mine 3 months ago. D:

Photokina 2010 will be help Tuesday, September 21 to Sunday, September 26, 2010 in Cologne, Germany. That is a world stage,and one which Nikon has used many times over the past decades to premier big, new products that they are proud of...Photokina gets a huge amount of European press coverage...

I think better video is the area they will focus on in a D90 follow-up. It might be as simple as iterating the D90 to an s version called D90s, as KmH speculates above. It's always hard to predict what,exactly, Nikon will do, but the 2-year upgrade cycle means a D90 replacement or update/refresh/iteration could come at ANY TIME now...

Ive been thinking of upgrading my D90 to a D300, so hopefully this replacement will be something close to a D300 with video. :)

Mark

Ive been thinking of upgrading my D90 to a D300, so hopefully this replacement will be something close to a D300 with video. :)

Mark

save your money and wait for a replacement. D90 is better than the D300. If you WERE to upgrade you should go for a D300s.

6FPS...8FPS with the battery pack. :) Fast Forward to 3:35
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h83l5-ukqik"]Fast_Forward_to_3:35[/ame]

51 point AF

Mark

Last edited:
save your money and wait for a replacement. D90 is better than the D300. If you WERE to upgrade you should go for a D300s.
The D90 is not better than the D300 in all regards.

What does the D300 have that the D90 doesn't have? For the cost of paying extra money that is.

Also pro quality built, 100% viewfinder, uses compact flash card, 150K shutter life, 14-bit A/D conversion... just to name a few more.

D300: Nikon D300 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

D90: Nikon D90 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

you can compare everything else yourself.

What does the D300 have that the D90 doesn't have? For the cost of paying extra money that is.

The biggie is the Multi-CAM 3500DX AF module, and 51 focus points (15, cross-type). The D90 only has the Multi-CAM 1000 AF module, 11 focus points (1, cross-type)

The D90 only offers 12-bit compressed RAW. The D300 offers 14-bit and 12-bit, uncompressed, loss-less compressed or lossy-compressed RAW options.

The D300 has more external controls, a magnesium metal body, weather sealing, a 10-pin connector, a PC cord jack, a built-in intervalometer, a 1/8000 shutter, and uses CF type flash memory.

The newer D300s has 2 memory card slots, 1 for CF type cards the other for SD type cards.

The video in the D300s is more capable than the video in the D90.

That's the high points.

I was about to buy a D90 yesterday until I read this thread, I'm guessing it's worth waiting? Does anyone know what the new model might have (aside from the 34 focal points)

Most reactions

Back