Nikon d90

Renzo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been looking for a dslr of my own, for some time now. I have recently completed a year of Photography, and am enrolled for advanced Photography for next year; I have gotten familiar with a Canon EOS Rebel XS. During my class I could check out a camera if I wanted to go on a photo shoot, but as summer approaches I will unfortunately not be able to check one out anymore. I have heard great things about the Nikon d90, but with such a large purchase I want to make sure i'm making the right decision. Any alternatives around the same price(or cheaper), Anything I should know before I make the leap?

Thanks in advance
-Renzo

If you are going to go for the D90 I would recommend the D300s if you can stretch it.

Canon, Nikon and Pentax ... but if you're used to Canon it might be wise to stay with Canon. All 3 have cameras in about the same price level.

As far as accessories would I be better off with Nikon?

Tomatoe, tomatah, Canon and Nikon both make excellent camera's. Both have great lenses and accessories. If your used to Canon why not stick with Canon. I have heard that Canon and Nikon are better of if your seriously considering to get into photography because Pentax and Sony have limited lenses in the L-pro lines. I shoot Nikon because I like the way it fits in my hands and where the buttons are. Go to a camera store and play with both. See which ones feels good to you. Do you have any friends that shoot a certain brand just in case you guys can ever switch off lenses etc. Think about those things before you decide. The whole Canon Vs Nikon thing is like asking you if Ford or Chevy is better. Good luck with whatever camera model you get.

Well, a tripod should fit either brand! ;)

Seriously, go to an on-line store like b & h or adorama and see what each brand offers. Only you can decide what accessories you may want. What you want/need depends on what type of photography you do. If your into portraits then you need something different than if your into macro flower shots.

After you see what each brand offers and what you may want then go to a store and play around with cameras ... heck you may walk out of the store with a large format camera!

As far as accessories would I be better off with Nikon?

You can't go wrong with canon or nikon. Canon has slightly cheaper new lenses, while nikon has a much larger range of high quality legacy lenses; especially if you opt for a d300/d700

You can't go wrong with canon or nikon. Canon has slightly cheaper new lenses, while nikon has a much larger range of high quality legacy lenses; especially if you opt for a d300/d700

Just wondering why not the D90 either? it has the AF motor on the body and the D300 is a DX sensor too.

But yeah as has been said, stick with canon if that's what you like, try a D90 and get it if you like it better, both are about the same

All Nikon cameras have had color aware metering for several years now. Most Canon cameras don't, and can only "see" in black & white when metering (so far only the 7
D and 1ds mkIV are 'color aware').

Just wondering why not the D90 either? it has the AF motor on the body and the D300 is a DX sensor too.

But yeah as has been said, stick with canon if that's what you like, try a D90 and get it if you like it better, both are about the same
The answer is "features and capabilities".

The D90 is an entry-level camera body:
  • plastic frame }don't drop it, and be very careful with 70-200mm f/2.8 or larger lenses on it.{ (D300/D300s has a metal, magnesium frame)
  • no weather sealing. (D300/D300s is weather sealed)
  • few external control buttons/switches (far more external controls)
  • only 1/4000 shutter (1/8000 shutter)
  • only 1 cross-type focus point (15 cross-type focus points)
  • only 11 focus points (51 focus points, and the AF module is the DX portion of the same AF module in the D3(x) bodies)
  • 12-bit lossy RAW capture (12 or 14-bit RAW capture, compressed, both lossless and lossy)
  • 3 auto brackets (up to 9 autobrackets)
  • SDHC card (D300s has both CF memory and SD memory slots(D300 CF only, 1 slot). UDMA capable D300/D300s.)
the list goes on but that will give you the general idea.

As a first camera though the D90 is a very very solid camera, will you really use all the features of the D300 if you're just getting your first DSLR?

I love the flip flopping on here of 'get good lenses' 'get good bodies'

Get the D90 and a good lens or two, by the time you'll find the camera lacking you'll hve been able to save up for the next big thing

As a first camera though the D90 is a very very solid camera, will you really use all the features of the D300 if you're just getting your first DSLR?

I love the flip flopping on here of 'get good lenses' 'get good bodies'

Get the D90 and a good lens or two, by the time you'll find the camera lacking you'll hve been able to save up for the next big thing

While I do see that point as valid...if he can afford to swing for a D300s now, then it might (strong might) let him go 2-3 years longer before feeling the need to upgrade bodies. If that's the case, the D300s would be the cheaper option long term.

On the other hand...

I went D40>D70s>D90, and am now wanting to possibly get whatever replaces the D700. Now, I wouldn't exactly recommend jumping ship directly to a D700, but if I had started out with a D90 at the beginning (as you suggest) I would have saved a lot of money.

Edit: Oh, and after all that, I'd suggest a 50d or 7d if you can swing it. If you already familiar with the Canon system and have been happy thus far, I don't see the point in switching. Both systems are great, they are just different.

OK cool, good points there obviously.

I'm not baiting at all, just wanting some good ideas for anybody asking these questions, not just be told 'do this because I said so'

All Nikon cameras have had color aware metering for several years now. Most Canon cameras don't, and can only "see" in black & white when metering (so far only the 7
D and 1ds mkIV are 'color aware').

The answer is "features and capabilities".

The D90 is an entry-level camera body:
  • plastic frame }don't drop it, and be very careful with 70-200mm f/2.8 or larger lenses on it.{ (D300/D300s has a metal, magnesium frame)
  • no weather sealing. (D300/D300s is weather sealed)
  • few external control buttons/switches (far more external controls)
  • only 1/4000 shutter (1/8000 shutter)
  • only 1 cross-type focus point (15 cross-type focus points)
  • only 11 focus points (51 focus points, and the AF module is the DX portion of the same AF module in the D3(x) bodies)
  • 12-bit lossy RAW capture (12 or 14-bit RAW capture, compressed, both lossless and lossy)
  • 3 auto brackets (up to 9 autobrackets)
  • SDHC card (D300s has both CF memory and SD memory slots(D300 CF only, 1 slot). UDMA capable D300/D300s.)
the list goes on but that will give you the general idea.

Thanks, this really helped. Haven't decided yet, only because I would like to handle a couple of cameras, and haven't gotten around to doing it.

If you're a casual shooter and plan on staying out of the rain, the D300 isn't worth the extra money IMO. Realistically, given the same lens, the d90 will do pretty much everything the D300 can do. The D300 has more bells and whistles, has a bit stronger build (though the D90 is tough as hell), and has weather sealing (which means nothing if the lenses don't).
If you're comfortable with Canon, go that route. Also, as previously mentioned, jump on your friends' bandwagon so you can share lenses. That's a HUGE advantage.

Most reactions

Back