Nikon E Series 50mm f/1.8 lens - Aperture problem

Slodey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm new to the board and photography in general! :)

I've been using my D3100 with the kit lens for a while and managed to pick up a Nikon E Series 50mm f/1.8 lens fairly cheap. However, I think there might be a problem with the aperture on the lens. The aperture ring doesn't actually change anything, meaning that it's currently stuck at f/1.8. The stop-down lever on the back of the lens can be used to close the aperture right down all the way to f/22. The lens ring can then be used to increase the aperture, however it then remains stuck and cannot decrease again. The stop-down lever on the back moves with the ring when this happens, but then doesn't move back down. I don't really know much about lenses, but I can't find anything online that mentions this problem, which has led me to believe that it is a fault.

Am I right in thinking that the lens needs to be repaired? Or is this normal for this type of lens?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

It probably can be repaired, but it will cost far more than just buying another copy of the lens.

Thanks for your reply, I'll get in touch with the eBay seller and arrange a return. Back to the drawing board!

Most reactions

Back