Nikon E Series Lens - Compability?

Craddosk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Quick question, will an E series lens (in this case, Nikon 50mm 1.8) fit on a modern digital camera (ie D40x)? I realize autofocus will not work, but for $45, if it fits the camera, I'll be just fine.

Thanks!

Yes. The mounts are the same. Check Nikonians.org for a list of what lens series will/will not work on your camera. However yes, the 30 dollar Series E 50MM is a perfect choice for the D40x since the more expensive (and similarly built) AF-D will require the same manual focus effort.

Yes, it will mount of your D40x and you can take photos with it. You will have focus manually (obviously) and metering will be complete guess-work.

Series E lenses are exactly the same as their AI-S counterparts, only built using more plastic components and sometimes having slightly different optical designs.

In the case of the 50mm f/1.8, it's an excellent lens. I had a 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor AI-S for a bit. The only difference I could find was that the Nikkor was a bit heavier and close-focused to 1.5 feet (the Series E close focuses to 2 feet).

Perfect. Thanks for the info. I think I'll save up a bit longer to get the one with a CPU so as to meter properly. Make's my life just easier.

I'll just say that getting the Series E has really helped me learn a lot about metering, but the 50/1.8 AF-D is so cheap that it's almost silly not to buy that one instead.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back