Nikon lens dilemma

andycomp38

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all,
Looking for advice on a little dilemma. I am off to Tunisia next month and aim to shoot some pictures for a stock library.
I can't decide which zoom lens to take with my Nikon D70.
I have a Nikkor 35-70mm F2.8 zoom lens and a Nikkor 28-80mm f3.3/F5.6 G lens.
From what I have researched the 35-70mm lens is excellant quality. This lens though is bigger and heavier than the 28-80mm zoom.
The 28-80mm zoom is light, compact, and obvioulsy slighty wider and a slighty longer! But I understand the quality is not as good as the 35-70mm.
Should I go for quality?
Or should I go for conveniance?
Is there anyone out there succesfully using the 28-80 mm Nikon G lens for top quality stock photography?
Opinions would greatly appriciated.
Thanks for reading this post.

Without a doubt. Go for quality. That 2.8 is very sharp, just what you need for any type of stock photography.

I second the thought of going for the best possible quality. I don't think the extra zoom range would be worth as much as the added quality of the better lens.

do you want to go jogging w/ your camera, or on eleventy billion mile hikes? if so then the low quality 28-80 may be better for your.

I don't beleive any of us want to jog thousands of miles w/ our cameras so the 35-70 f/2.8 is better.

if you want to go light and still versitile and high quality, the 24-85 ED IF AF-S f/3.5-4.5G is an extremely sharp and contrasty lense. it retails for around 400-450. You can get it online for about 380 from adorama and b&h.

and for the answer to the does anyone use the 28-80 for high quality photos. I'd have to say almost absolutly not. Though you can get high quality photos as long as you stop down to f/8 and f/11 and use a tripod every shot.

Most reactions

Back