Nikon: Lens Factory Closings

Sign of the times I fear. Not good.

Not good I have a Nikon also

Old news, they're moving all their manufacturing to Tailand where costs are cheaper. They already are making most of the lens/bodies there. Nikon will survive.

Old news, they're moving all their manufacturing to Tailand where costs are cheaper. They already are making most of the lens/bodies there. Nikon will survive.

Did you actually read the article?

Wow! 59% reduction in operating costs. That is aggressive.

This leave only one factory left making the “higher end” lenses.

yes
Maybe you missed the takeaway? This involves Japanese plant closures. (Hint: it's in the title). Nothing to do with Tailand(sic).
CGW, I really do understand. You commented it's 'not great news' and I just think the closings are just part of business to keep profitable, with all that's happening w/ Nikon.

Last edited:

yes
Maybe you missed the takeaway? This involves Japanese plant closures. (Hint: it's in the title). Nothing to do with Tailand(sic).
CGW, I really do understand. You commented it's 'not great new' and I just think the closings are just part of business to keep profitable, with all that's happening w/ Nikon.
They're consolidating production by closing what sound like smaller factories and ending shifts--the same things Detroit has done in response to soft demand. No point making what isn't selling--for now.

Yup, you can make the best lens to ever sit on the self.

cgw has it right "No point making what is not selling--for now" Hopefully that will change.

I suspect the change will come on the software end before the hardware end.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back