Nikon lens question

alixgaul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am an amateur photographer soon to become a student. i'd need to expand my collection of lenses (considering that i only own a 18-55!) but i'm clearly on a budget. i have found the Nikon AF NIKKOR 70-300mm f4-5.6 G for £150; while the Nikon Zoom-Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED would cost 350£+..

considering that i'm still fairly at the beginning would you advise to buy the more expensive one or shall i stick to the older one even though i realise that it has no Vibration reduction hence quality may be poorer?

thanks...
Alice

First thing is it depends on which camera you're using. Lower end nikons don't have a focus motor in the body, so you'd need the af-s lens which has the motor in the lens.

As far as VR goes, just because the lens doesn't have VR doesn't mean the quality of pictures will be worse. Edit: VR doesn't affect quality.

If you're shooting with a d40, d3000, or d5000 and want autofocus get the af-s lens. If autofocus isn't an issue, get the AF lens.

You could also look into off brand lenses much cheaper. I know tamron makes a 70-300 that autofocuses that is actually a pretty good lens for around $150(I just sold it).

thanks. i bought the nikon D3000 just few months ago.. problem is that even tho i can get the grasp of the technicalities i struggle understanding the difference between all components.. i assumed AF stood by auto-focus, so what's the difference with the AF-S?
it'll probably sound a silly question, but....

thanks. i bought the nikon D3000 just few months ago.. problem is that even tho i can get the grasp of the technicalities i struggle understanding the difference between all components.. i assumed AF stood by auto-focus, so what's the difference with the AF-S?
it'll probably sound a silly question, but....

The af-s and af-i lenses have the motor in the lens, the AF lenses don't.

Each manufacturer has a different name (other than af-s) for their lenses with the internal motor.

I don't remember them all off the top of my head, but when you look at each lens just read the specs and make sure it has the motor in it.

The 70-300 AF-G is a dog. I own one. I bought it as a Nikon refurb for $99. It has a lot of color fringing at longer focal lengths,and is not a very good lens. It's light, and plasticy. The 70-300 ED lens is now no longer the top dog in the category, but is markedly better optically than the AF-G model. The current top lens is a 70-300 f/4.5~5.6 AF-S VR-G model. If you have a D50,D70,or soemthing like that, the 70-300 AF-G model, the 150 Pound one, would autofocus.

The Nikon Zoom-Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED would cost 350£+ is currently the "top dog" from Nikon is the 70-300 class,and is the best lens they have ever made in that category. I would definitely check the Thom Hogan reviews Kundalini referred to earlier in this thread.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back