Nikon N75 questions

Snackem

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I apologize for being completely ignorant when it comes to photography but I've just recently began to get somewhat serious. I have a couple of questions:
1) What size of a lens should I get?
2) What is an approximate magnification comparison for different mm lenses. Is a 300mm lens similar to a 10x
monocular for example?
3) Is there anything else that I should use with the camera, such as a filter?

Now that I've asked my questions let me tell you what I want to do with the camera, I am also an avid jetskier and I would like to be able to take photos of my friends while they ski. I need to be able to take photographs from the beach/shore. I also am an avid outdoorsman and I enjoy taking wildlife shot. I currently only have the 28-80mm lens. I would also like to one day get a digital SLR that my lens will work with.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Jeremy

Well 50mm is the standard that the eye pretty much sees. For jetskiing especially at a distance you will want something long. Look at 100-300mm lenses or something like that depending on how far your friends intend to skii. You will want a lens with a reasonably small aperature. F2.8 if you are going to shoot with ISO100 film, but F4-5.6 is also often acceptable with faster film. But for wildlife especially when it's in the shade you will want the faster f2.8 or so lenses.

You will be at the beach so a UV filter is a must. It will protect your lens element from salt, scratches, and will prevent a blue haze from appearing on the film from the harsh UV reflections on the sand.

Most modern higher end digital SLRs (i.e. D200 not D40 and not sure about D70-80) will be able to use ANY lens even very old AI manual focus lenses. The D70 and D80 can use any modern lens and the D40 is limited to only the most recent AF-S lenses which you may not be able to use on Film if they are designated for digital only.

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking right now at a 28-200mm and a 100-300mm. I'm leaning towards the 100-300mm lens.

Most reactions

Back