Nikon numbering system

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i recently reached shot ten thousand on my D3200, i am currently at 550 again since it reset. I would like to know if there is a way to let the numbering system just keep counting on so i don't accidentally overwrite my older pictures with the same numbers?

How do you store your photos? I have never overwritten any of my photos, then again, I changed all my file names upon importing them.

Photos > Event > Date > File Name

Example

Photos > Air Show > 20140518_0001

Use the Transfer function of View NX. You will be given the option to rename the files as they are transferred.

So i recently reached shot ten thousand on my D3200, i am currently at 550 again since it reset. I would like to know if there is a way to let the numbering system just keep counting on so i don't accidentally overwrite my older pictures with the same numbers?

I just watch and when near 9999, I rename the prefix of the file name (in the camera, so it is automatic).
Instead of DSC_, maybe DS2_, or DSD_, or AA2_ or something different, but which can show sequence next time too.
If you have two cameras, this prefix can indicate camera name too.

D3200 manual, page 188:
File Names

Photographs are stored as image files with names of the form “DSC_nnnn.xxx,” where nnnn
is a four-digit number between 0001 and 9999 assigned automatically in ascending order by
the camera, and xxx is one of the following three letter extensions: “NEF” for NEF images,
“JPG” for JPEG images, or “MOV” for movies. The NEF and JPEG files recorded at a setting of
NEF (RAW) + JPEG fine have the same file names but different extensions. Copies created
with image overlay (0155) and movie edit options (093) have file names beginning with
“DSC_” ; copies created with the other options in the retouch menu have file names
beginning with “CSC” (e.g., “CSC_0001.JPG”). Images recorded with the Color space option
in the shooting menu set to Adobe RGB (0130) have names that begin with an underscore
(e.g., “_DSC0001.JPG”).

Oops... this seems fixed, so I am not certain D3200 file names can be changed, but there are menus to rename file prefixes in many camera models, D300, D800, etc.

Last edited:
As Wayne F said just change the prefix !

Most reactions

Back