Since I don't get what this has to do with Nikon specifically, I'll answer anyway
And my answer is that I'm no prophet and the camera companies don't ask for my input so I have no idea what's coming next. But one thing we know for sure with the electronics industries is that they keep coming up with new stuff. Whether better or not is open to interpretation. They are also not adverse to kill another industry to sell you their stuff. In this case, the film photography industry.
Before I go any further, let me say that corporations do not care about the pros using their products except as advertisement potential (no matter how much those pros spend on equipment, it is next to nothing compared to what is spent by amateurs) and they sure as hell don't care about the artists and the art. What is that? Artists are always broke and nobody really know they even exist :lmao:
So, let's take a look at another industry that went through the same growing pains of the digital world: music. And, no, I don't intend to talk about the invented stars who can't sing or know anything about music. I'm just going to talk about the technical stuff.
Someone came up with the CD and we were told it was God's newest miracle. Does any one remember how we were told we could use those darn things as coasters and they would keep playing just fine? Well, have you tried it? It doesn't work any better than with my LPs.
So everybody ditched their LPs which was great for me. I bought more of them then than ever before
The industry also put out CD players that were better on average than the crap stereos most people owned and the deal was done. But those cost way too much to produce so that, soon enough, the quality of the players was such that a half way decent stereo sounded better. At least to the people who actually listen a tiny bit. That's when we started seeing recording studios going back to analog in some of their rooms. And now the vinyl sales are growing while the CD sales are struggling. What?
Well, yes, we have MP3s now. Another drop in quality even if they are free on the internet. Most music today is nothing more than background noise. How long before most photos out there are nothing than eye noise?
We've been told we are a visual society now, we react to images, and I always wonder what that actually means. I can't use my eyes any more today than I did yesterday. At least not that I know of. But one thing is for sure and that is that we are being trained to not look at images very long.
Among other things we are now also part of the video age and that means images that don't stay in front of your eyes long enough to actually be studied. How the hell are you ever going to decide what is a good image when you barely have time to look at it.
And if you don't get what I'm saying, look at most photographers websites. Slide shows. No time to really make up your mind about the quality.
Photography is most probably going to follow the pattern we saw with music.
Cheers.