What's new

Considering moving to mirrorless

Joined
Jan 15, 2014
Messages
733
Reaction score
158
Location
N VA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am thinking about finally moving over to a mirrorless camera and have been debating between the Canon EOS R8 and R6 Mark II. Reason I'm looking at switching is the slightly lower weight of them compared to my current 6D Mark II (it was a killer to carry around Thailand on my recent trip). I want to stick with a full frame if possible but I've never really paid much attention to reviews/opinions on mirrorless before. Anyone have preferences/recommendations? I primarily do animals, nature, and now travel stuff since I have more time to travel now. I've used Canon cameras since I was a kid (about 35-40 years) so that is what I am used to and pretty invested in; but I am willing to consider other options. Thanks.
 
Coming from one who has switched to mirrorless and then switched back, the shooting experience is different. Some adapt and some are like me and never find it satisfying.
 
Thanks to those who allowed me to join in this thread! Listen I am new to photography and in the process of learning all the basics so before I really get serious enough to want to venture out. I did online classes and have done little family photos. Even had mentoring with a local photographer ( very little). Experiences are little concerning public shots. I am tired of procrastinating! Here's what I asking in wanting advice of the little equipment that I have to where to start! I have a Canon EOS Rebel T7 and trying to understand the different lens for my camera. When in fact some think that the camera that I have is not enough!! Advice please along with any suggestions!
Canon Rebel T7
 
I am thinking about finally moving over to a mirrorless camera and have been debating between the Canon EOS R8 and R6 Mark II. Reason I'm looking at switching is the slightly lower weight of them compared to my current 6D Mark II (it was a killer to carry around Thailand on my recent trip).
I would switch to mirrorless but if you keep the FF format you're not going to save much weight.
Put a zoom lens on your 6DmkII and you've got a 3 pound camera. Put that same lens on an R8 and you have a 2.5 pound camera. That's not very significant.

I have the same issue of carrying a camera and eventually ending up in pain. I walk every morning and that's mostly when I take photos. This morning I walked for 3.7 miles and the camera I carried weighs 1 pound. I have two FF cameras and with a zoom lens they're 3 pounders. I have two APS-C cameras and with a zoom lens they're 2 pounders. I have two M4/3 cameras and with a zoom lens they're 1 pounders. I can carry the two Olympus PenLites all day pain free. I occasionally take my Fuji X-T2 but at 2 pounds I start to feel it in my shoulder after 45 mins. I never take the two FF cameras. They get very little use. If you really want to reduce the weight you need to shrink both the camera and lenses and the way to do that is to shrink the sensor. Here's a photo I took on my walk yesterday morning -- the camera is an Olympus Penlite w/lens it weighs 1 pound.

reflections2.webp


All of my cameras are mirrorless and I wouldn't go back to a DSLR except kicking and screaming. I've been using mirrorless cameras now for nearly 20 years and they fundamentally changed the way I take photos -- no way would I give that up. The live-view exposure aids provided by a mirrorless camera can't be placed in the OVF of a DSLR. I rely entirely on my cameras highlight alert system which permits me to set an exposure with much more precision and accuracy than is possible with a DSLR.

I also like the lenses I can get and use for mirrorless cameras (zero distortion wide angles) that aren't available for a DSLR.
I want to stick with a full frame if possible but I've never really paid much attention to reviews/opinions on mirrorless before. Anyone have preferences/recommendations? I primarily do animals, nature, and now travel stuff since I have more time to travel now. I've used Canon cameras since I was a kid (about 35-40 years) so that is what I am used to and pretty invested in; but I am willing to consider other options. Thanks.
 
MILC advantages? Size, weight, visibility. Ditched Nikon DSLR for Fuji. For my style, the only downside--and it's a small one--is packing extra batteries.
 
I can't offer advice, but this random guy on Youtube seems to love his 4/3 Lumix GM1.

 
Last edited:
Recovering head trauma out-patient?
 
Reoccurring theme with these reviewers on the Lumix GM1. Must be something to it.

 
Thanks, everyone! I ended up getting the Canon R50 today. It was one I was sort of debating on and I went to the PX with my dad and they only had 2 left. I decided to grab it while I could because it looks like the PX may not be carrying Canon cameras much longer (the display was empty with only one or two items in stock) and may be switching to focus on Fujifilm cameras which they had a pretty good selection of. I figure if anything I should be able to figure out if I even like using a mirrorless system and can then slowly start upgrading if I do.
 
All this talk about carrying around a heavy 3lb camera and here I am with a 30lb backpack chock full of gear. lol

I know I "could" get by without all those other lenses, but I might "need" them. And that flash, and the ring flash, and that tripod, and all those ND filters. :laugh2:
 
All this talk about carrying around a heavy 3lb camera and here I am with a 30lb backpack chock full of gear. lol

I know I "could" get by without all those other lenses, but I might "need" them. And that flash, and the ring flash, and that tripod, and all those ND filters. :laugh2:
I would love to be able to carry around a 30lb backpack with all the gear I could ever need but my disabilities make it so that is not possible. When I was younger I was able to carry more but now it results in extreme pain and losing feeling in parts of my body due to parts of my spine fusing and other joint issues from AS.
 
Thanks to those who allowed me to join in this thread! Listen I am new to photography and in the process of learning all the basics so before I really get serious enough to want to venture out. I did online classes and have done little family photos. Even had mentoring with a local photographer ( very little). Experiences are little concerning public shots. I am tired of procrastinating! Here's what I asking in wanting advice of the little equipment that I have to where to start! I have a Canon EOS Rebel T7 and trying to understand the different lens for my camera. When in fact some think that the camera that I have is not enough!! Advice please along with any suggestions!
Canon Rebel T7

I saw you post and wanted to let you know that I also shoot with a Canon Rebel T7. While this is considered an entry level camera, that does not mean it is not capable of getting excellent photos.

And, it appears that you are way ahead of many noobs in that you have taken classes for the basics and even shadowed a professional photographer.

At this point, instead of worrying about equipment, which I'll admit I am also guilty of doing, you need to be learning how to use the controls on your camera to get the best possible shot you can get. That has been my biggest obstacle, controlling the camera properly for the shot I want.

You did not mention what lenses you have but many on here will tell you that they are more important than the camera body you choose. I started with a Canon EF-S 18-55mm and a Canon EF 75-300 ii. Those are considered "Kit Lenses" as they come in kits with the new camera. I have since purchased a Canon EF 50mm 1.8 and a Sigma 10-20mm F3.5.

Shoot what you have and learn how to adjust the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO to get the photos the way you want them. You have plenty of time to figure out what lenses would be helpful as you put yourself in different situations.

I purchased my wide angle lens, the Sigma, because I took a hike down a mountain beside a waterfall and could not get the field of view I wanted with my kit lens opened wide to 18mm. I have not repeated that hike but intend to take the wide angle lens next time!
 
I like to shoot wildlife so I am always carrying FF and a 600 f4 TC. It is the price of admission really.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom