Nikon sharpness adjustments

PNA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today I attempted to test the sharpness attributes of the D70 and concluded there are no differences.....

Shots of the same subject were taken with tripod and remote triggering to avoid shake.

Normal
Auto
+2

Also what sharpness lacking through the camera can be compinsated with PS, right????

As a result I am satisfied with the Auto setting, but will question higher authority....."youseguys". ;)

Any comments, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks..............

I am not a Nikonian, but any sharpness due to the sharpness attributes of the camera should be also reproducible by setting in-camera-sharpening to zero and doing it later on in PS or other software.

However, detail lost due to oversharpening of fine structures in-camera cannot be reconstructed later on.

I am not a Nikonian, but any sharpness due to the sharpness attributes of the camera should be also reproducible by setting in-camera-sharpening to zero and doing it later on in PS or other software.

However, detail lost due to oversharpening of fine structures in-camera cannot be reconstructed later on.

Hi, Alex.....

Good point, meaning that the Auto setting should be sufficient?

Hi, Alex.....

To answer that, I would need to know how conservative "auto" is, which I do not know. If it is rather aggressive, then there might be the danger of losing detail due to sharpening, if it is rather conservative, and prefers "under-sharpening" then you should be fine.

I personally set my camera (Canon) simply to a low sharpening level and do the final sharpening in PS. I do not have any "auto" setting. ;)

Hi, Alex.....

Yes i think so myself... i have achieved good sharp results with a D50 and kit lens by using sharpening techniques in PP.
PP is really where you can get the sharpness you want providing the image has no camera shake and is not out of focus.

Yes i think so myself... i have achieved good sharp results with a D50 and kit lens by using sharpening techniques in PP.
PP is really where you can get the sharpness you want providing the image has no camera shake and is not out of focus.

My conclusion also....Thanks.

Are you shooting in RAW? I can't really tell from your description, but if your shooting in RAW, no in-camera processing is done at all. So, no sharpening will be applied.

Oh, and doing sharpening in PS will make your images look a lot better.

Are you shooting in RAW? I can't really tell from your description, but if your shooting in RAW, no in-camera processing is done at all. So, no sharpening will be applied.

Oh, and doing sharpening in PS will make your images look a lot better.

Yes I shoot in RAW......and thank you for your explanation of the in-camera sharping factor. Makes sense.

:p. Actually the Nikon sharpness isn't bad at +1. But it looks god awful on +2 on every Nikon I've used. And on Normal certain cameras like my D200 never look sharp enough.

That said I don't shoot jpeg anyway.

Today I attempted to test the sharpness attributes of the D70 and concluded there are no differences.....
Have seen this discussion elsewhere and the conclusion is that many of these advanced settings will only be apparent if imported into your computer via Nikon's CaptureNX. Supposedly the RAW converters in LR/PS, Aperture, CaptureOne, etc do a poor job in handling that data.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back