Nikon Shooter switching to Canon What Should I get?

cristhefoxian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Everyone,
I've decided I want to go Canon. I have a little over $5000 to spend. I'm looking to shoot Weddings, but I will also do Fashion and Commercial stuff. Besides the 5D Mark II what lens would you recommend to go with it to start off? I can get one of these and just rent the others until I can afford them. Thanks in Advance!

Lenses I'm interested in:
50mm 1.2 or 50mm 1.4
70-200mm 2.8L USM or 70-200 2.8L IS II USM
24-70mm 2.8L USM

If I were in your shoes, and had 5 grand to spend, I would get 2 7D's... one for backup or to carry a second lens which is fantastic when shooting weddings. One with 24-70 the other with 70-200 or a 50.. but you should think about a 100mm LS macro (fantastic lens and tack sharp) great for those "his and her" ring shots where you want to rings to fill the lens. Don't get me wrong the 5DMKII is great, but for weddings? Not necessary. Portraits... different story. Both do very well with video where Nikon really is still working to keep up on.

I know the 5D is not a cropped factor camera and the 7D is - but so what? How many 40"x60" prints will come out of a wedding?

And don't forget strobes. Canon 350's are great but a couple radio poppers and some Vivatars for off camera strobe is a great way to go.

You might have some change left over to buy some stands.

Last edited:
What does full frame have anything to do with large prints?

I am about to enter home construction and remodeling. Besides a hammer, what other equipment do I need?

Seriously... thats what it sounds like. What focal lengths did you primarily depend on with the nikkors? Then those should be the similar tools you need in Canon.... never mind the fact that you are switching. Your needs should be driving equipment decisions and that does not change with the brand

A psychiatry appointment.

Agreed. I was going to suggest getting your head examined. Same difference. Especially if you have the Nikon equivalent of what you want with Canon. It is not the brand of camera that makes photos that sell, it is the photog.

That said, I doubt you are going to work both in commercial, fashion and weddings. Do you intend to run 3 very different marketing campaign at the same time? It could get expensive.

The first thing a pro does is not spend money that doesn't need to be spent. Not exactly what you are doing... it seems to me.

Maybe op only had a prosumer old nikon and a kit lens.

Why o why.

I shoot canon, and now feel "trapped".

Don't switch...my .02¢

Sent from Erics iPhone! (2) Nikon D300 50mm 1.4, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8VRII, 24-70 2.8, 85mm 1.4, (2) SB900

OP here thanks for all your loving support. I have a D300, D90 as Back up. 50 1.4, 17-55 2.8, 70-210, 60 2.8 Macro. Anyone interested in Buying?

might go quicker in classifieds
dunno.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back