Nikone 50mm 1.4 or AFS 50 1.4?

SNAPaPHOTO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am trying to tell the difference between Nikkor 50mm 1.4 and the AFS version which cost allot more.

What would the advantage be to the AFS version on a d300 body? Surely it can't auto focus that much faster can it? Now if you had the D3000 or D40 which required AFS I get it, but on d300 any real difference?

Just trying to decide.

You have to be more specific about the Nikkor 50 mm f/1.4. That combination has been made for something like 60 years. Does it have the "claw" on the aperture ring? Is the lens coating yellowish, purplish, or greenish? Is it manually focused only, or autofocus too?
Got pix?

"Nikkor" is just what Nikon calls their lens brand.
50 mm is the focal length.
1.4 is the maximum aperture. So you didn't really tell us much about the lens.

I'm pretty sure the OP would be referring to the 50 1.4D and 1.4G versions.

believe it or not, the AF-S version focuses slower.

However, it's more accurate, which in turn means sharper images.

We had the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 in the store for a while, and I own the 50G. at f/1.4 and f/2, the difference was clear. The new lens is a much more balanced option.

I am looking for the difference between the Nikkor 50mm1.4 d version and the nikkor 50mm1.4 g version (afs).

I ended up buying the g version today, although I couldn't see the difference in the store but I didn't want to kick myself later for making the wrong decision.

I loved my AF-D version. Only drawbacks were the spinning focus ring and no MF overide which is nice.

:p forgive me if i'm wrong, but i believe the AF-S 50/1.4 G has 9 ROUNDED aperture blades, as opposed to the AF 50/1.4 D's 7 blades... technically the G creates "better" more round bokeh when compared to the D, which might make more hexagonal bokeh when stopped down... at least thats what i've understood from what people on this forum have told me

i guess the AF-S motor, 9 rounded blades, and manual focus override give it that ~$200 price difference

i guess the AF-S motor, 9 rounded blades, and manual focus override give it that ~$200 price difference

But you loose the ability to use it on older film cameras.

But you loose the ability to use it on older film cameras.

Since I sold all my 35mm film camera some time ago I guess that is not an issue. I of course kept some of the medium format equipment, but doubt I could figure out how to attach the 50mm/d to that body :)

Thank you for the information.

the 50G is a good lens, i love mine to death.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back