Nikons apologizes on facebook

2WheelPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We know some of you took offense to the last post, and we apologize, as it was not our aim to insult any of our friends. Our statement was meant to be interpreted that the right equipment can help you capture amazing images. We appreciate the passion you have for photography and your gear, and know that a great picture is possible anytime and anywhere.

Posted on their page at approximately 9:24 AM.

Apology in response to the 20,000+ dislikes and heckling over the post:

A photographer is only as good as the equipment he uses, and a good lens is essential to taking good pictures! Do any of our facebook fans use any of the NIKKOR lenses? Which is your favorite and what types of situations do you use it for?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/nikon?sk=wall

someone got fired.

Where are the photos of Nikon all drunked up with his buddies last Friday night? Where are the piccies of Nikon and that bimbo he picked up Saturday around midnight? I want to see the photos of Nikon's last weekend at the ski resort!!! Oh, wait...Nikon's not a person...so what the hell is he doing on Facebook?

As I mentioned in the first post regarding this. Nikon was right to start with. It's just unfortunate a lot of poor people got but-hurt by the truth.

Nikon's marketing department is responsible for making everybody feel like if they just bought a DSLR or a new camera they can take professional level photos. I guess one of their staff got sick of the lies and told the truth. It's unfortunate that they had to apologize for something as simple as telling the truth.

This reminds me of a show that I used to catch, early on Saturday or Sunday mornings. It was called something like 'Nikon Wildlife Adventures'. They had a 'host' who was decked out with Nikon gear, but generally pretty clueless. He would go on these great wildlife photography adventures with a different photographer each show. This was back before digital eclipsed film, so they were also pushing Fuji film.
I liked watching the show, because hey...it was a show actually about photography. And if I had to stomach some Nikon propaganda, it was worth it.

But man, the 'host' was a idiot and it practically ruined the show. On time, the real photographer showed the host that he could change the focus point manually, and so choose a point near the bottom/top/left or right of the frame. The host didn't know why you would want to do that, so the photographer quickly explained the rule of thirds. So for the rest of the show, the host was explaining (to the viewers) how his Nikon camera had 'rule of thirds', as if it was a feature. :roll:

Maybe that guy is now in charge of Nikon's facebook page.

See up until this bit
he host was explaining (to the viewers) how his Nikon camera had 'rule of thirds', as if it was a feature.
I thought the host was just being the average person on the big screen - but yeah that really does sound like they picked a presenter with 0 training in cameras (I mean didn't anyone give him a script ;)).

It's a shame though, there really are no proper television programs for photographers - the closest we get is Digital Rev TV ;)

It's a shame though, there really are no proper television programs for photographers
I'm quite fond of 'Travels to the Edge, with Art Wolfe'. My local PBS station used to have it on early on Saturday, but not anymore :(.

It's a shame though, there really are no proper television programs for photographers
I'm quite fond of 'Travels to the Edge, with Art Wolfe'. My local PBS station used to have it on early on Saturday, but not anymore :(.

Peter Lik also hosts a show on the weather channel.

This topic gets romanticized way too much in my opinion. Yes it takes a good skilled photographer. However, you do not freeze fast action, shoot in low light, or get razor sharp photos like you do with top level equipment. We can toot our own horns all we want, but at the end of the day, we are NOTHING without a camera in our hands. (AKA a piece of a equipment ). Furthermore, if your equipment breaks as soon as you get into tough weather, or dust or whatever, then you aren't taking any pictures at all. I don't think there was anything wrong with Nikon's statement, I think people just whine too much. ( and thats coming from someone who hates Nikon haha )

Most reactions

Back