NOOB and lense compatability question!!

KVB1085

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97367&highlight=dslr+compatible+lenses

i did a search and found this thread^^^ which kinda has my hopes up... BUT i want to make sure before i get started...

i'm buying a Nikon D70 from a good friend of mine... with a decent lense... and i'm just now getting into photography so i don't know much about it...

anyways, my step mother has a nikon FG which as you all probably know is an older Nikon... she has a couple of really nice (looking LOL!) lenses... that i'm pretty sure were some nice ones back in the day... what i'm trying to figure out is if these lenses are compatible with the newer DSLR camera's... more specifically the Nikon D70 as mentioned above.

here are the ones she has.

1. wolfpro mc auto macro 1:2.8 28mm 52(zero with slash through it)
2. nikon nikkor 50mm 1:1.4
3. (this one is huge) zykkor mc auto zoom macro 1:4.5 f=80-205mm (zero w /)52

she also has a ton of filters and what not for these lenses and a "pro multi-coated auto tele converter 2x for nikon-al"

i've heard mixed answers on this from more than one person.. some say they think they do... some say they wouldn't at all...

and some think it takes some sort of retro acting adapter...

if someone could give me a straight answer i'd greatly appreciate.. as i'm really looking forward to getting into photography!!!

Hmm, the should. From what others have said.. Nikon lenses from 1959 can fit the new ones.. Although in some the metering wouldnt work. in which you would have to get an external metering source.

Hmm, the should. From what others have said.. Nikon lenses from 1959 can fit the new ones.. Although in some the metering wouldnt work. in which you would have to get an external metering source.

can you explain that in "i know nothing about what you just said" terms...

lol...

thanks man.

Here's my take: Yeah they'll fit on the D 70. But they're manual focus lenses, and the D70 will give you an error message when you mount them.
You'll have to shoot in Manual mode and experiment to get exposures right, by adjusting the aperture ring on the lens. Most newer lenses don't even have aperture rings on the lens anymore. It's all done inside the camera electronically.
In my opinion, the 50mm Nikkor is the only one worth using. The others are some off brand I've never heard of. Just be careful when mounting the older lens. Design-wise they fit, but in some cases the base might be thicker than the camera is used to. So proceed very, very carefully.

Here's my take: Yeah they'll fit on the D 70. But they're manual focus lenses, and the D70 will give you an error message when you mount them.
You'll have to shoot in Manual mode and experiment to get exposures right, by adjusting the aperture ring on the lens. Most newer lenses don't even have aperture rings on the lens anymore. It's all done inside the camera electronically.
In my opinion, the 50mm Nikkor is the only one worth using. The others are some off brand I've never heard of. Just be careful when mounting the older lens. Design-wise they fit, but in some cases the base might be thicker than the camera is used to. So proceed very, very carefully.

awesome, i appreciate the input! like i said, i don't know much about it yet. but i was instructed to buy "understanding exposure" as a great guide to photography... so hopefully that'll help with the manual settings!

Any other input will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can you explain that in "i know nothing about what you just said" terms...

lol...

thanks man.

Like.. the camera wont be able to meter the light through the lens. So either you will just have to get really awesome at knowing that sort of thing.. Or but something to meter the light externally.

*edit* it also depends on how old the lens are. Im a newbie myself... Im just relaying information that I've read so far.

ah, i get it.. thanks man!!!

i'm really hoping these work!! it'd be awesome to have some older lenses to learn with...

so i found these on some nikon site... BUT i don't understand it at all... lol. could anyone explain?

nikon1.jpg

nikon2.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back