NOOB Camera Questions

chadigy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Bare with me and my first post.. I've always been really interested in photography just never went out and got started but now is the time. So i'm looking for your guys opinion on what camera and lens I should start out with.

As for the type of shots I'd like to take: Raw, edgy shots of women, similar to what danny steezy and van styles shoot. I also want to take pics of tall buildings and long hallways, anything like that. I really like the polaroid look, but i don't necessarily want to only use film. Really like the grain look as well.

Hopefully this info can give you guys some sort of idea of what i want to do and maybe some suggestions on cameras i should take a look at. Thanks in advance!

If money isn't an issue get either the Canon 5D III or the Nikon D800 with the 24-70 F2.8 lens (around 5000$)
If money isn't too tight get the Nikon D600 with the 24-85mm VR kit lens for starters (Around 2300$)
And if money is tight then get the Nikon D7100 with the 18-105mm VR (Around 1300$)
If money very tight then get the Nikon D3200 with either the 18-55mm VR lens or the 18-105mm VR lens depends of your budget (Around 490$)

Hopes this help and good luck

Last edited:
Badly on-camera-flash-lit women, tall buildings, and long hallways don't really fit into a coherent category to me...? I am confused.

Also, nothing about any of those subjects suggests any particular kind of camera. You can slap any $15 flash on any random camera with any lens at f/16 and put some attractive women on some wrinkled bedsheets and get stuff that looks exactly like this steezy fellow is shooting (which I think looks absolutely horrific if you couldn't tell, but if that's what you like, then you're in luck, because it's super easy and cheap to do and requires almost no knowledge of lighting whatsoever). And nothing about tall buildings or long hallways implies a kind of camera.

Polaroids would obviously take polaroid-ish photos, but it would be a lot easier to do that with a digital camera and automatic photoshop actions or instagram, if that's what you're into. Honestly, a $200 point and shoot along with its built-in flash would be sufficient to shoot like the Steezy photos you mentioned. I couldn't tell you if it would be sufficient for your architectural shots you want to do without seeing some examples of those that you like.

More information on what exactly you're asking or more about what you want to shoot is required for more useful help.

Last edited:
Yeah thanks for all the input. I was just using steezy as an example. I'd like to do shots like his but not exactly the same style. And as for the buildings and hallways and bridges type of photos I'll use 13thwitness on Instagram as my example. His shots are are my main goal as far as my photography dreams go.

chadigy; my advice is to simply learn photography first, and in doing so, you will be exposed to many photographer's works, and just as Gavjenks has pointed out, you will come to recognize what techniques were used for a particular "style".

Sometimes I have a difficult time understanding why, exactly, someone would want to emulate a particular style that is not particularly artistic nor even well done, technically.

Good luck to you.

-and, except for extreme cases, any camera can shoot any style.

Stop thinking that photography is just getting the right camera/lens combo and things will be great; this isn't true any more than getting the right kind of piano will make you a concert-level artist.

If you do continue with the misconception, then you will be in for an extreme shock after you put out big $ for something and your pictures don't come close to what you want.

Most reactions

Back