*NOOB* CF Cards Type I and II, Cheap Glass also.

rfosness88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im 20 years old and have only used P&S cameras, just bought my first DSLR(Canon EOS 40D). Its still in the mail and need to get a flash card.

Whats a good speed to get and should it be Type I or Type II?
the cheaper cost the better. What is a good buffer size, i plan on using burst mod a lot?
I was thinking of this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-TS8GCF133-Ultra-Speed-Compact/dp/B000W05O5O/ref=pd_cp_e_3?pf_rd_p=413863501&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000VY2BC0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0ZC7WJ60F9QK00G274MD"]Transend[/ame].

From what i understand the difference in type I and type II is the thickness of the card. The Canon 40D can support both.

I also want an all around lens to start with because im not sure what im going to photograph. Im looking for the cheapest lens i can find, this Tamron lens maybe; until i get my "real" lens. My sensor size is APS-C and i understand the focal lenght numbers.

Are there any other accessories i should get? How important is a UV filter?

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
well... I shoot with a canon 40D and I have been using these cards with no problem with speed at all.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-TS8GCF133-Ultra-Speed-Compact/dp/B000W05O5O/ref=pd_bbs_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227049743&sr=8-6[/ame]

good price too!

i use the sandisk ultra II 2gb and i think it works great. i need to get a second one.. 2gb isnt enough space cause i shoot raw and i dont upload anything for a while

Welcome to the forum.

I believe that pretty much all CF cards these days are type I. The type II cards were micro-drive cards (thicker), which didn't work all that well.

I like Sandisk Extreme cards myself, but I haven't had any problems with other cards...although the slower cards can be annoying at times.

As for a 'cheap' lens to start with, I'd suggest the Canon EF-S 18-55mm (preferably the IS version). It's a good range on these cameras. You might also consider the EF 50mm F1.8 lens.

UV filters are mostly used for protection. They protect the front of the lens from debris and impact etc. I personally don't use them. When shooting outdoors, I usually use circular polarizing filters.

As for other accessories, I'd suggest just getting used to the camera and learn what you can and can't do with it. A tripod is always a good thing to have, and if you find yourself using the (shiver) built-in flash...then I'd suggest an accessory flash like the 430EX.

As folks above said, if your camera takes Compact Flash, pretty much any Sandisk, Kingston, Lexar, etc. compact flash card will work. That Trascend is fine. It's just not as marque a name as Sandisk or Kingston, but it should have the same "failure" rate of most of these other cards out there. As far as "burst mode" is concerned, depending on what file format you are shooting it, it might be pretty much "impossible" for you to ever fill up your cameras memory buffer to worry about transfer rates and the like.

Cheap lens: I would recommend the 24-60 F/2.8 Sigma. Its cheap, not too heavy, and has a fast AP to play with.

Accessories: Play with the camera first and start taking mental notes on what you feel your camera is "lacking". Then see if they have something that can address that problem.

Awesome, thanks guys I will look into all of the suggestions. I'll post some pics when i get my cam :)

One more question. Are refurbished lenses alright to get? Are there any "normal" defects/problems with refurb lenses?

Awesome, thanks guys I will look into all of the suggestions. I'll post some pics when i get my cam :)

One more question. Are refurbished lenses alright to get? Are there any "normal" defects/problems with refurb lenses?

You might be hard pressed to find anyone who has a new lens that didn't cost less than 400 bucks. These lenses are built to outlast the camera you have, and I have found that photography hobbyists are way more careful with lenses than other hobbyists out there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back