noob going to serengeti - advice?

noobphotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello,

first off, hope this is the right forum.

i am a total noob to photography. my photog skills are basically limited to bad iphone photos ... and we're talking iphone 3g here.

however, next month i will be traveling to the serengeti. i'm thinking about picking up a better-than-iphone camera and trying to become semi-competent with it. i'm not expecting to become a good photographer overnight but figure since i'm going to be in a 'target rich environment' i should consider getting a camera that's up to par.

im considering renting one for the week or so that my trip will last, as I would like to use a high quality camera, but I know I won't be using it afterwards. some day i'd like to get good at photography, but not this day.

what would you recommend?

Well, are you looking for DSLR camera? if you are, then try out the 1000D, its pretty great for the price you will be paying. 1000D is a pretty basic DSLR, the modes and functions and pretty easy to understand and the kit lens at 18mm is not bad of a wide angle, but if youre going pro ill advise the 10-22mm Canon

Welcome to the forum.

I would also suggest a DSLR camera, and even the entry level models like the Canon 1000D, Nikon D3000 etc. should be OK. The key will be the lens...and the best part about DSLR cameras, is that you can change out the lens to whatever you want.

You will probably want a telephoto lens, so get shots of animals that aren't too close to you. A good quality, long telephoto lens will be expensive, a lot more expensive than an entry level camera...so renting the lens would be a good option. I guess you could rent the camera body as well, but it might be hard to get the hang of the controls while actually on vacation.

DSLR is the way to go if you want the absolute best pictures.

But if this is your first real camera experience (not counting cell phones), I'm guessing you are more interested in taking some good pictures for memories rather than trying to take pictures you can win competitions with. And given that it's almost the end of this month, you are leaving next month and you probably have other travel preparations to take care of, I don't know that you have enough time to learn a DSLR in anything but the mostly automatic modes.

So... I think you'll be better off with a good point-and-shoot for the trip. Since you'll most likely be taking wildlife pictures in good daylight, I'd say look in to renting a good point-and-shoot Super-Zoom like a Canon SX20 IS or a Panasonic FZ35 or a Nikon P100 (assuming those can be rented -- I've never looked in to what's available for rent).

Well, are you looking for DSLR camera? if you are, then try out the 1000D, its pretty great for the price you will be paying. 1000D is a pretty basic DSLR, the modes and functions and pretty easy to understand and the kit lens at 18mm is not bad of a wide angle, but if youre going pro ill advise the 10-22mm Canon

If he shoots a lion with a 10-20 i don't think he will live long do you

If he shoots a lion with a 10-20 i don't think he will live long do you

Especially with that steak! :lmao:

I think you need a crash course on photography! The rental camera you might get may be great but on the auto setting you use might get less than stellar results. If you do rent a camera and lens get as wide (ie:10mm)as possible and as long(ie:400) as possible. Have fun!

Most reactions

Back