Noob Lens question

Kstorm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm trying to decide on a decent prime lens for my D7000 but can't make up my mind. I'm stuck between the 50mm f/1.8 and the 35mm f/1.8. I have one friend who is saying get the 50 and another saying the 35 is worth the extra money. I'm just a beginner so I thought I would ask you guys for some help.

Do you currently own a zoom lens that covers both focal lengths? If yes, take a look at the viewfinder with lens set a 35mm or 50mm. Which field of view you think you will use the most?

You know, it is hard to recommend which focal length is best for you. If most of your photos are taking around 50mm, so 50mm is recommended. If it is close to 35mm, then 35mm. If you do not know the answer yet, then wait until you know.

What is your intended use? Are you looking for general purpose or portrait? In the days of film, a 50mm was the standard lens because it provided "normal" perspective. On todays digital crop bodies, a 50mm provides the field of view of 80mm on a 1.6 crop, or 75mm on a 1.5 crop. A 30mm or 35mm will provide "normal" perspective on a crop body, making it more of a general purpose lens, while 50mm will be more of a portrait lens. Indoors, a 50mm can be a little tight. Personally, I own both a 30mm and 50mm. The 30mm sees more use.

Another point to consider is the 50 1.8 won't AF on your body. If I'm not mistaken (I shoot Canon, so I could be wrong) the 35mm will.

Last edited:
seconding setting your (suposed) kit lens to each value and see how it goes.

I keep track of the focal lengths of shots I upload to Flickr to indicate to myself where I use what lens the most etc (so I know ~50% of my shots are at 18mm on my kit lens; so I know a wide is my next lens investment). Doesn't work so well for shots outside your range too much - hard to know you want a 400 if 55 is your longest etc but for your considerations it should be worthwhile.

Another point to consider is the 50 1.8 won't AF on your body. If I'm not mistaken (I shoot Canon, so I could be wrong) the 35mm will.

It will autofocus on the D7000, that body has a focus motor in it. The D5100, and below do not.

If a Nikon knowledgeable person could explain the classification system for their camera bodies, I would be eternally grateful.

seconding setting your (suposed) kit lens to each value and see how it goes.

I keep track of the focal lengths of shots I upload to Flickr to indicate to myself where I use what lens the most etc (so I know ~50% of my shots are at 18mm on my kit lens; so I know a wide is my next lens investment). Doesn't work so well for shots outside your range too much - hard to know you want a 400 if 55 is your longest etc but for your considerations it should be worthwhile.

I use this free software and it is quite good.

ExposurePlot (former Focalplot)

It read your photos and show the focal length usage in a graph.

It will autofocus on the D7000, that body has a focus motor in it. The D5100, and below do not.

If a Nikon knowledgeable person could explain the classification system for their camera bodies, I would be eternally grateful.

See, I knew someone would set me straight. I can't keep all the Nikon bodies and whether or not they have AF motors straight.

See, I knew someone would set me straight. I can't keep all the Nikon bodies and whether or not they have AF motors straight.
Ya, it's as bad as trying to figure out which Canon bodies can mount an EF-S lens and which can't.

Ya, it's as bad as trying to figure out which Canon bodies can mount an EF-S lens and which can't.

Is it that hard? All the Rebels, and the xxD models, and the 7D. If you're using a higher end body than that, you won't be looking for EF-S lenses anyway.

You seem to be knowledgeable with Nikon though. Could you explain the rhyme or reason to their nomenclature? I've been really interested to learn why they are named in such a way. I've never understood it.

I was also confused by the Nikon AF motor and the lower end models in the beginning.

For D40, D40x, D50, D60, D70, D80 ... Originally, I thought D50 was newer than D40 / D40x and also do not have focus motor since D40 doesn't. But later on found that I was wrong. Apparently D50 and D70 were older models instead.

Thanks guys for the great info. My friend let me borrow his 35mm to practice with and I was impressed with the results. This will probably be the lens I'll go with for now.

Most reactions

Back