Noob: My dogs. (Advices needed about PP!)

Silchuki14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I am testing out my new old Minolta 70-210mm F4 lens and so far I like what I can do with it. Here two shots that I took today that I think are better than what I usually produce. Keep in mind that I am still a beginner. Thanks! Here's some question I would need advice on:

1- Can a background be too "blown-out"? I find the background of the second picture really blown-out but don't know if it's a good or bad thing, your thoughts?

2- How would you edit those pictures? I would only raise the exposition and contrast on the second one. The first one would see a raise in exposition also. But what else? (Those are not edited, out of the camera)

3- General C & C are welcomed!

#1 (ISO 800 - 105mm - f/ 4.0 - 1/2500s)
31072013-DSC00627.jpg

#2 (ISO 800 - 180mm - f/ 4.0 - 1/2000s)
31072013-DSC00620.jpg

Thank you!

Nicely sharp but the eyes a bit dark in both
you may not mean blown out as much as blurred. (search bokeh )
I find both of these pictures a bit dull and dark and the subject oddly framed.

$31072013-DSC00620lll.jpg$31072013-DSC00627lll.jpg

Other then what traveler said already, I am not sure why you used shutter speeds of 1/2000 and 1/2500 shutter speeds,. it is totally unnecessary for that speed for dog portraits.

At F4 180mm with that shutter speed IMO is why I think traveler lightened it up a bit to bring out the eyes and the overall photo. I never seen light that bright for that type of shot unless it's in direct sunlight or shooting up in bright light sky. I guess its possible but don't seem likely.I could be wrong or maybe missing something, that's always a possibility to.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedbacks guys!

It was really sunny outside when I took the shots. It is probably the reason for the fast shutter speed and maybe because it is the thing I can adjust the fastest.

About the framing, I thought that it was "better" to not put the subject at the center, am I wrong? This is why I decided to offset the frame a little...

Thanks!

Not wrong at all but I think the dead space behind the dog in the second shot doesn't add anything other then dead space behind him or her. Nice shots of beautiful dogs.I really like #2,So cute.

Thanks for the comment and answer to my noob questions!

So technically, to make this shot better, a less blown-out background (or less bokeh) would likely improve the shot? I understand what you mean for #2 because it's simply a dog and no "story" is present, simply a dog.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the comment and answer to my noob questions!

So technically, to make this shot better, a less blown-out background (or less bokeh) would likely improve the shot? I understand what you mean for #2 because it's simply a dog and no "story" is present, simply a dog.

Thanks again!

Just to clarify some terminology, "blown-out" is not the same as "bokeh". Blown out areas are spots that are over-exposed and appear white in the image. Because of the over-exposure you would lose all detail in that spot. The blur or bokeh you see in the image is caused by using a large aperture (small F-stop #). You might want to look up depth of field.

Bokeh can be highly desired or not depending on the subject/image. Very generally, not a rule by any means, portraits benefit from this but landscapes do not. For a basic dog portrait, I think it works well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back