Noob: My dogs. (Advices needed about PP!)

Silchuki14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I am testing out my new old Minolta 70-210mm F4 lens and so far I like what I can do with it. Here two shots that I took today that I think are better than what I usually produce. Keep in mind that I am still a beginner. Thanks! Here's some question I would need advice on:

1- Can a background be too "blown-out"? I find the background of the second picture really blown-out but don't know if it's a good or bad thing, your thoughts?

2- How would you edit those pictures? I would only raise the exposition and contrast on the second one. The first one would see a raise in exposition also. But what else? (Those are not edited, out of the camera)

3- General C & C are welcomed!

#1 (ISO 800 - 105mm - f/ 4.0 - 1/2500s)
31072013-DSC00627.jpg

#2 (ISO 800 - 180mm - f/ 4.0 - 1/2000s)
31072013-DSC00620.jpg

Thank you!

The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nicely sharp but the eyes a bit dark in both
you may not mean blown out as much as blurred. (search bokeh )
I find both of these pictures a bit dull and dark and the subject oddly framed.

$31072013-DSC00620lll.jpg$31072013-DSC00627lll.jpg

DarkShadow

Birdographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Other then what traveler said already, I am not sure why you used shutter speeds of 1/2000 and 1/2500 shutter speeds,. it is totally unnecessary for that speed for dog portraits.

DarkShadow

Birdographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
At F4 180mm with that shutter speed IMO is why I think traveler lightened it up a bit to bring out the eyes and the overall photo. I never seen light that bright for that type of shot unless it's in direct sunlight or shooting up in bright light sky. I guess its possible but don't seem likely.I could be wrong or maybe missing something, that's always a possibility to.

Last edited:
OP
S

Silchuki14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Thanks for the feedbacks guys!

It was really sunny outside when I took the shots. It is probably the reason for the fast shutter speed and maybe because it is the thing I can adjust the fastest.

About the framing, I thought that it was "better" to not put the subject at the center, am I wrong? This is why I decided to offset the frame a little...

Thanks!

DarkShadow

Birdographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not wrong at all but I think the dead space behind the dog in the second shot doesn't add anything other then dead space behind him or her. Nice shots of beautiful dogs.I really like #2,So cute.

OP
S

Silchuki14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Thanks for the comment and answer to my noob questions!

So technically, to make this shot better, a less blown-out background (or less bokeh) would likely improve the shot? I understand what you mean for #2 because it's simply a dog and no "story" is present, simply a dog.

Thanks again!

Jean1234

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Thanks for the comment and answer to my noob questions!

So technically, to make this shot better, a less blown-out background (or less bokeh) would likely improve the shot? I understand what you mean for #2 because it's simply a dog and no "story" is present, simply a dog.

Thanks again!

Just to clarify some terminology, "blown-out" is not the same as "bokeh". Blown out areas are spots that are over-exposed and appear white in the image. Because of the over-exposure you would lose all detail in that spot. The blur or bokeh you see in the image is caused by using a large aperture (small F-stop #). You might want to look up depth of field.

Bokeh can be highly desired or not depending on the subject/image. Very generally, not a rule by any means, portraits benefit from this but landscapes do not. For a basic dog portrait, I think it works well.

Most reactions