What's new

Noob trying to apply what I've been learning... C&C please

Demers18

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 11, 2011
Messages
1,330
Reaction score
265
Location
Sudbury
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I bought my camera a few weeks ago and haven't been able to use it as it's a Christmas present for my wife and I. The catch is that we want to take some family photos with it so we can give some to our family's and you guessed it, I was allowed to play and get to know the camera a bit today to get ready for our family shots. I've been reading a lot on TPF and started reading Bryan Peterson's: Understanding Photography Field Guide, but not much help when you can't actually play along while you're reading and try the examples. Really can't wait to actually explore our camera.
Anyway's I took a few shots today and would like to get your opinions.

#1
I know the image is on the blue side but i like the capture. I was playing with my settings when I saw him and wanted to try and get him in movement but those pictures did not turn up well at all. I guess it serves me for playing around in manual mode.
Things I like: the detail you get in the bark of the tree, snow on the squirrels face and the color the berries bring
Dislike: the image as a whole is too blue and seems to be missing something, not sure what it is

IMG_0205 by Demers18[/IMG]


#2

Things I like: I like the color contrast, being able to fit in both trees

Dislike: the metal strap holding the bird house up, I really need to fix that lol, berries hiding the opening of the birdhouse

6443518821_337c5a4bfb_b.jpg
[/URL] IMG_0151 by Demers18[/IMG]


#3
Things I like: The shadows on the birdhouse, definition of the tree and the composition
dislike: again that strap,

6443516729_17418d5561_b.jpg
[/URL] IMG_0169 by Demers18,

#4

I did some minor adjusting on this one.

Like: I can't pin point it but I just like this picture
Dislike: should have put the axe in the front stump


6443509869_105c3eb8b1_b.jpg
[/URL] IMG_0170 by Demers18[/IMG]
 
Last edited:
I forgot to add these two pictures I also like

#4

Likes: I know this one is also very blue, but I really like how it represents how cold it is outside, I found it fitting. Like how the bird is captured within the branches
Dislikes: might be a little busy


6443662455_c343045ffd_b.jpg
[/URL] IMG_0181 by Demers18[/IMG]

#5
I really like the detail in the fur
dislike the blue blanket in the background I find it distracting

6443654995_9443a75805_b.jpg
[/URL] IMG_0083 by Demers18[/IMG]
 
#3 could have actually been pretty decent... if you had the negative space on the other side of the house

when you use the rule of thirds, you always want to put the negative space in the same direction that the object is facing, otherwise it feel like you're staring at a wall

the other ones don't really have anything going for them

some are underexposed/flat, some are too busy...
 
Thanks for the tip on the rule of thirds. That is one thing I wasn't sure of but will make sure to focus on the next time I shoot.
As for the flatness, if I can say it like that, I have to find a way to make the images pop more and I know that will take a lot of practice and having better control or should I say actually knowing what to do with the camera instead of just trying a bunch of different settings to see what they do and hope something good happens
 
add contrast/saturation in post
 
I tried it with another pic of the squirrel that I think uses the rule of thirds a little better and added some contract and saturation a little and I like the effect.
Thanks again

Do you think I should crop the lower portion of the image closer to the squirrel?

#6

6443763349_db602cf910_b.jpg
[/URL] IMG_0206 by Demers18[/IMG]
 
Last edited:
well another problem with both of your squirrels is you cut off the tail

you never want to cut any oart of the animal off

so i can't give you any advice on further cropping because it's too late to make it look nice
 
LOL fair enough... Point made and will not be forgotten ;)
 
here's my quick edit of your first one
tpfhelpsquirrel1.jpg
 
I see what you mean, although I'm surprised you took out the tree on the left side. I thought it would of added to the rule of thirds and help complete the image. but it does make it a lot less busy.
 
the tree drew more attention than the squirrel previously
 
Then I guess it would have been better crop the squirrel out instead since I didn't get the whole animal in the picture
 
Say something like then... (keeping in mind we are working on a picture that is not the greatest to begin with ;) )

6443854095_32d5d8a650_b.jpg
[/URL] IMG_0205 by Demers18, on Flickr[/IMG]
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom