What's new

North Cascades Highway

RxForB3

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 10, 2012
Messages
654
Reaction score
76
Location
Yakima, WA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took a long trip yesterday and today. I drove three hours yesterday to Omak, WA. Spent the night there, then began a long trek across SR 20 (also known as the North Cascades Highway) and took some photos along the way. I drove about 10 hours total today and took quite a few photos. These are my favorites.

This first is a panorama that is 66 megabytes in total size. I'm proud enough of it that I'm taking extra precautions and downsized it as well as the requisite watermark. I think the size still gives a good idea of the original, though.


Washington Pass Panorama 2 by RxForB3, on Flickr

Please feel free to make suggestions/comments on that one, and particularly critique these next few.

1.


IMG_2065 by RxForB3, on Flickr

2.


IMG_1987 by RxForB3, on Flickr

3.


IMG_1959 by RxForB3, on Flickr

4.


IMG_1936_2 by RxForB3, on Flickr
 
Wow. Very nice!
 
I pick #2 as the best IMO.
 
They are all good;the last one is outstanding in spite of the harsh light :D
 
Thank you all. I agree about the harsh light in the last picture. Actually, I was surprised some of them turned out as well as they did. This was more of an exploratory trip, so I hadn't planned the timing well enough to get some of the best light. I'm thinking of going back to the location of the panorama and doing a nighttime panorama. Unfortunately, by the time I get my new camera, I imagine the pass will be closed, so it will take quite a while before I can get back out there.
 
I'm liking photos 2 and 3 the best. I feel those two best depict the feeling of being there.

The panoramic view is fine, but I feel too much distance with it.
 
Thanks again for the comments. I think it's interesting to see the varying opinions on which people like best. I can certainly see your point FanBoy. I have many more photos like those, including some with some pretty ominous looking clouds that I think you might really like, but I think because I spent so much time driving through, I enjoy the bigger picture better because to me it gives a sense of the grandiose nature of the mountains. Any suggestions on making these even better for my next trip out there?
 
Looks like it was a nice ride...... aren't you glad you didn't make the trip yesterday.
 
It was very nice. Just much longer than I expected. And yes, I'm very glad I took the opportunity when I did!
 
I was hoping for a break in the weather this week to try and make the last trip over Chinook Pass, too late, they closed it for the season today due to extreme avalanch danger.
 
Tony S, there's still White Pass, of course. Might not be quite as splendid as Chinook, but still nice. Although, I suppose that may be difficult to reach from Eatonville if Cayuse Pass closes, too.

TATTRAT, thank you very much! Glad you enjoyed it!
 
White Pass is always a good trip for me, closer than having to head over Chinook> It was my favorite way to go when visiting my daughter at Central. I can skirt the park by heading up Skate Creek Road to Morton till it closes, but even then heading out through Morton is a nice trip. I really like White Pass because it's wonderful for finding wildlife without having to stray more than a mile off the highway.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom