Northern Lights in Fargo/Moorhead

Cricketboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last night I was keeping up on the solar flare that hit, it didn't look like it was going to be a good show until I noticed the KP index was going up. So I ran down to the other end of the school campus with my camera and tripod to see if I could see anything. I sure did! The light pollution was horrible but I could still see the lights. After a few photos, I called a friend to come out and see them. He's a huge bucketlist junkie who has been waiting to see them since coming to school in MN. I said I'd keep up to date on it. After the call we all got into a friend's car and drove about 5 miles east of the city and set up our cameras. Here's some of the pictures. I have more, but I don't want to flood the first post with too many photos. How do you think these photos are for my first time shooting them? This is my first time even seeing the northern lights!

I shot with a canon T2i with the kit 18-55mm lens at 18mm. I just got the camera, so I don't have any other lenses yet.

Facebook album with LOTS more photos, it's viewable to the public so it's should work.
Northern Lights 3/9/2012 (Early AM) | Facebook

Hey-way to go Bryan!!! Last two look pretty good....it seems odd to see them in such a southerly latitude and with signs of the modern world in the images!

very cool! no chance of me seeing them this down south...

Thanks for the comments.
Here's a video of my compiled photos. There's two sections of photos I looped 3 times. It's short, but I think it's pretty good for never attempting a "true" timelapse with DSLR photos.
My settings for these photos were f/8 ISO800 15 seconds shooting with intervalometer set to take a photo every 5 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
those are neat thats first time i seen them like that

Most reactions

Back