Northern Lights in N.E. Tonight?!

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Northern lights are supposed to be seen tonight far down into the states tonight. Looked at a couple of 'space' type sites and it looks like Cape Cod may be in for a show.
Anyone else know better info?
And what type of setting are best?
I am looking for a dark place just in case....

I saw that but didn't even bother to check were I could view them because we've got thunderstorms in the area where I am.

15sec f2.8 iso3200

Just a guess though. I have no idea.

Last night/this morning was the real show, with aurora visible as far south as Colorado, Utah, I know someone here posted photos from Missouri. It hit kp8 and was....amazing. Tonight I believe will be smaller and we will miss most of the show before it gets dark enough in New England. Tomorrow night into Thursday morning looks better, with predicted KP reaching 6-7. That being said, I will be keeping an eye out tonight as well.

This morning it was so bright I was shooting at iso2500, f4, 10 seconds. Typically I'll shoot around iso2000-3200, f2.8, anywhere from 10-20 seconds. Longer exposure times means less detail in the spiking and light pillars as it all blends together. We were in and out of clouds last night, the next two nights look very clear so fingers crossed that it pans out

Thunderstorms tonight but tomorrow night may be clear enough, doubt it will come down as far as CT though

Thunderstorms tonight but tomorrow night may be clear enough, doubt it will come down as far as CT though

Considering it hit kp8 early this morning and was visible as far south as Utah, if it hits kp6-7 tomorrow night as they are predicting, you'd definitely be able to see it in CT

Considering it hit kp8 early this morning and was visible as far south as Utah, if it hits kp6-7 tomorrow night as they are predicting, you'd definitely be able to see it in CT
Wow really?? I know I could search for this info but any quick tips other than find the darkest spot I can?

On April 2012, I captured my very first Northern Lights here in Vermont. It was very cloudy but there happened to be a break in the sky and I quickly setup..only had minutes before clouds were going to cover it again. I took this on my front lawn, haha. Stupid trees in the way..but I captured it!!!

6962432230_f5f1f03d5f_c.jpg

Nothing for me in bunghole PA.

If I am reading this chart right, looks like tonight's K level has dropped. Doesn't look like much chance for sighting tonight?
Planetary K-index NOAA NWS Space Weather Prediction Center

If it stays like that, no. The CME hit early and not as fast as predicted, so it looks like they adjusted their KP forecast. Time will tell, but this is why I never get my hopes up too much
Since you know a whole heck of a lot about this compared to me please keep us updated if there is a possibilty tonight

Most reactions

Back