Northern Lights

DerekMellott

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took this last night.

5091151629_7a66dd3714_b.jpg

I'd desaturate the blues/cyans in the stars. Great shot of the aurora though.

On my bucket list.

Where did you shoot this from?

Also can you share your technical info on the shot?

This was shot at Lilly Lake, AB, it's about 15 mins from my house, I was heading out to shoot something else but after I saw what was going on my camera was pointed up all night. I only had a half full battery with me and drained it shooting a time lapse of this, I only got 71 pictures.

25 sec exposure iso 1600 f3.5

Derek, are these single shots, or did you stack them? I'm guessing that is a single shot since your foreground trees are so sharply defined, but damn, those stars are sharp for 25 sec exposure!

Derek, are these single shots, or did you stack them? I'm guessing that is a single shot since your foreground trees are so sharply defined, but damn, those stars are sharp for 25 sec exposure!

It's a single shot. the stars are sharp due to the 18mm focal length, the wider you are the more time you get before the blur sets in.

I am so happy these came out so sharp, focusing is a guess. There is no infinity mark on my lens and the screen is not enough to see such fine detail.

Wow thats awesome!! How much editing was done? Mind posting the un-edited version? I'm just curious....

Ahhh! I've only seen this happen once in my life (so far)! It was so beautiful! I would love to see it again! Lucky you, got a picture of it! Looks awesome!

Most reactions

Back