What's new

Not a Very Bright Idea.

Bitter Jeweler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Apr 27, 2009
Messages
12,983
Reaction score
5,003
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
.




7924617794_1da7743c24_o.jpg
 
Is that an HDR image converted to B&W. If not, give it a try as it gives some nice results, similar to this.
 
It feels like the germ of a decent idea. I am inexplicably bothered by the fact that the bulb (?) is not parallel with the side of frame. It's not the sort of thing that normally does not bother me.

It feels a little visually flat, and I'm not sure I love the balance of tones between the foreground object and the background material in more general terms. I kinda like my shadows way dark, so my tendency would be to shove the background down until it's barely visible textures in the gloom, and then it would feel like everything else I ever shot, and I would be happy. It's not my photo, though, so.
 
It looks a lot brighter than a lot of the lighting systems people buy on here
 
Someone forgot to pay the bill.

If you'd HDR the photo and detail the ceiling, wouldn't that be distracting from the subject, the light bulb?
 
This is an in camera HDR. :-P

I would like the background to be a little darker, but when it is, the cord to the light dissappears, and I think a floating light bulb is more awkward than having the background a little more prominent. It prints a little darker though.

I believe the light bulb is very, very, nearly parrallel with the frame. I did work on getting it right. Is it possibly the crooked cord, and the angles in the background that fool you?

Thanks for the comments!
 
I did not measure it up, nope. If you say it is parallel, then it must be the background tricking the eye, which is interesting to me.

Thanks!
 
I absolutely love it.

I keep wanting to crop a hair off the right, but meh... it's great.
 
I like it too! If you want the background darker can't you just burn it a little? Or use an adjustment brush? I happen to like being able to see the detail in the ceiling.
 
You know what it is? I want it to be elongated like the bulb. I frankly was tempted to do it more but didn't want to push it.

I cropped it a hair and also did a slight curves adjustment to make the bulb pop a bit more without losing the cord or background. What do you think?

bitterbulb.jpg
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom