What's new

Not sure if this is "People", "Nature", or "Landscape" so i'm posting it here.

Tight Knot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Nov 30, 2010
Messages
1,398
Reaction score
159
Location
Boca Raton, FL
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I need some C&C on which crop feels better.

Thanks.

1
$Walking by the Main in Frankfurt - small.webp
2
View attachment 65205
 
Last edited:
Hi all,

I need some C&C on which crop feels better.

I like the closer crop better.

However, I like it even better with a different concept to the crop. You are trying to maintain the symmetry of the trees, and that is nice in a way. The right hand side is much stronger, and with the line of the left edge of the row going vertically right down the center of the image it's not bad.

But how about almost eliminating the left side row. Put the two people down towards the lower left corner. It doesn't have to be exactly on a rule of thirds location, but somewhere close that looks right. You might then emhasize and de-emphasize a few things to make it more dramatic. I liked it with what would normally be considered oversharpening. I also thought that blurring the background that shows up between the trees just a little was better.

There is one unfortunate thing that you might be able to cure if you shot this in RAW mode. The snow is overexposed, and has virtually no detail at all. A different raw conversion with tone mapping to bring the snow down in brightness to show detail would probably be better.

Then again... another person might like it with very high contrast to wipe out most detail. And five others will want it at different intermediate levels of contrast! It's a great shot for manipulating the composition.

Consider these...

Two people, surrounded by trees:

$e.webp

Trees, surrounding two people:

$e1.webp
 
Hi apaflo,

Thanks for your detailed reply.
I'd love to hear what others have to say on your ideas also, but they don't float my boat.
That is the beauty of art, it is so subjective, and we each get something else out of it.
 
crop #2 for me
 
I also like the second crop but I think the picture is rotated counter-clockwise a bit.
I used the people as a vertical line, measured both and rotated .52 degrees and I think it looked better.
 
Hi all,

I need some C&C on which crop feels better.

I like your second crop :) -- Also, your snow is not over exposed. It's white. It's snow. Ha.

My only critique is that it looks like you have have oversharped or over clarified the shot a hair... maybe pull that back a bit (and I say that lightly, because it could just be some compression going on)? But other than that, I like it.

With that being said... THIS:


Is not "dramatic". It's just... not good. Sorry. It *is* too over-sharpened, and blurring is obvious and looks out of place and fake.

--

Stick with what you've got TK.
 
I also like the second crop but I think the picture is rotated counter-clockwise a bit.
I used the people as a vertical line, measured both and rotated .52 degrees and I think it looked better.

Thanks Lew,

I'll try that.
 
Hi all,

I need some C&C on which crop feels better.

I like your second crop :) -- Also, your snow is not over exposed. It's white. It's snow. Ha.

My only critique is that it looks like you have have oversharped or over clarified the shot a hair... maybe pull that back a bit (and I say that lightly, because it could just be some compression going on)? But other than that, I like it.

With that being said... THIS:




Is not "dramatic". It's just... not good. Sorry. It *is* too over-sharpened, and blurring is obvious and looks out of place and fake.

--

Stick with what you've got TK.

Thanks e.rose,

Thanks!!
And you are correct, I did over clarify it. :blushing:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom