Not sure I'm in the right place but --

Dagwood56

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I saw an ad for " istockphoto.com " in Popular photography magazine. I checked out the site....looks like they take almost anything good or bad..... their pricing seems a bit low to me and works on points you earn when your photo is downloaded.

Based on a 3 month term they give a price of $1.50 based on set # of points, a bit higher for next size download. I think the largest of files is 12 points and like $13.00. Plus you have to reach $100.00 in royalties before they pay.

I was just wondering if anyone here has tried it, or if you've read anything about the place and know if it is legit or not. I was thinking of trying it to bring in a few extra $$ a month, but wondering now if its really worth it.

Thanks for your input.

Thank you! :D I'll have to look into it.

the istock site is very slow/working intermittently for me today...

...and it's really starting to get annoying.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to try it or not. My husband doesn't seem to think its worth it and I question how "profitable" it would be, but its free so I guess there is really nothing to lose by trying it.

Thanks all ----

It's a quick way to halt your career. I know a few people in my city that I used to think were pretty cool years ago and they sell a decent amount of images on istock (around $10k a year, far more than the average person) but they are in the exact same place in there career as they were then... selling crap on istock for pennies to the dollar. I withheld the urge to jump in even though I did get accepted I never submitted anything. Now I can license my photos myself, just yesterday a magazine picked up one of my images for editorial for $250 to run it in a single issue compare that to the 50 cents I would have got from istock and they would have been able to use it for whatever they wanted whenever they wanted.

Alleh_Lindquist :
Well, I'm not a career photographer, it's just a hobby and i saw istock as a way to maybe make a little cash, however I'm not all that interested anymore. The prices are just to low and as you say - they can use the image for whatever and whenever they want. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that. Plus, and not sure this is true or not, my husband seems to think that still life type shots are more likely to sell than what I would have contributed [ barns, landscape sunsets etc.] Is this true about the still life or is it just my husband's warped ideas of what todays society goes for again. LOL

hi dagwood

I've been selling vector art (and a couple of photos) on a similar microstock site called shutterstock since January. In February alone i made $300 dollars from it.

General consensus seems to be you will make more money selling vectors than you will selling photographs, which is how it worked out for me, so much so i don't bother uploading photographs anymore and just stick to vectors.

If you're interesting in joining, feel free to use my referral code LINK :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back